[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 11:56:57 -0400

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Windows and Linux have another useful feature which Mac and Haiku don't:
> mnemonic access keys (e.g. Alt+F opens the File menu). Haiku could have
> something like that too, although both Windows and GNOME have made this
> feature less prominent in the recent releases by removing underlines from
> letters by default, which may indicate that it's not really used a lot...

Haiku has this feature too, it is just hidden. They are called menu
triggers. The option to show these was originally in the Menu preflet,
but that preflet was removed. I started working on a bug for this, but
had difficulty solving it easily:

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3259

Either we just hard-code that option to on, or we show them when the
menu is opened by the keyboard (Alt-Esc) as suggested in that ticket,
or we show them when menus are opened in general (meaning they would
hidden in a menu bar without any open menus.) Or we could just add
that option back to another preflet, such as Keymap or Shortcuts.
Maybe I will just do that :)

Also somewhat in relation to this long thread, I started working on
improving the BWindow shortcut handling so that B_COMMAND wasn't
always hard-coded in shortcuts, allowing for single key shortcuts
(such as the number 1 to zoom to normal size in ShowImage, or function
key shortcuts) or for shortcuts with different modifiers. I need to
finish that up, since I think it will be pretty useful.

--
Regards,
Ryan