[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 10:54:24 -0400

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> It is one thing to one-time relearn something, it is another thing to
> constantly have to switch between two different muscle memory modes when
> switching between Haiku and Linux/Windows.

This is definitely true. I do understand why Haiku (and BeOS) uses Alt
as the Cmd key (it really comes from copying MacOS and in that sense
Mac keyboards work better for Haiku in this mode.) But I mostly use
Linux these days and whenever I use Haiku I do have those moments of
pressing the wrong key until my muscle memory adapts (because I keep
the default settings.) Though while on this topic I must say I always
miss Alt-Tab and find Ctrl-Tab a bad replacement (on that note we
could have Alt-Tab switch windows even when Alt is the command key if
we wanted to.)

Anyhow I'm not sure if we should switch the default settings, but the
"Windows/Linux compatible mode" should work correctly, and I'm not
sure if how it works now is correct.

> For the same reason I'd suggest an optional Linux compatible mode in
> Terminal.

Indeed. Though I will admit that the Haiku (and Mac) settings are much
better for the Terminal. I still find Ctrl-Alt-C and Ctrl-Alt-V to
copy and paste in the Gnome terminal quite cumbersome.

--
Regards,
Ryan