[haiku-development] Re: Alpha-1 merging and status

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:56:58 +0200

Michael Lotz wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Stephan Assmus wrote:
>>
>>> Perfect. That's great news.
>>>
>>> How many days does the spreading of the final image to the mirrors
>>> really
>>> take? We could still try to aim for the 14th and only slip a little
>>> if the
>>> ATA fixes don't make it in time for spreading the image.
>>>
>> I understand that we wanted to give time to address some of the ATA
>> issues and I really don't care if we delay the release a few days (or
>> even a week or two for that matter). But we can't just be sitting
>> here
>> in uncertainty waiting and waiting (we also have a live, if you know
>> what I mean).
>>
>> So, is it too much to ask that a decision be made once and for all on
>> firm release date?
>>

> I've been discussing with Marcus and he'd be OK with releasing the
> alpha with the current ATA stack. I've added a section concerning ATA
> and disabling DMA as a possible way to get around it to the release
> notes wiki page.
Ah, too bad a fix didn't make it for #4058. I tested with DMA disabled
and it indeed boots (latest rev).
Note that the installer from cd boots with DMA on (albeit making a long,
in minutes, pause on the 4th icon) but DriveSetup won't show any
existing partitions from the harddrive. With DMA off, it waits
indefinitely on the 4th icon. All in all, i can't install from CD on
that machine (my CD is a few revisions old, will do more tests today).
It's hard to evaluate how many people will be affected by that, but it's
kind of a show stopper here.

Regards,
Alex