[haiku-development] Re: Alpha or Nightly

  • From: "Christopher R. Halbersma" <chalbersma.12@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 07:54:07 -0600

Cool beans. So I guess the only question left is what software would you like to see me try to port? Personally I was going to try and port nano. I figured it's pretty useful plus it's command line so I can open that mental can of kick ass after finals.

CRH

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 07:48:26 -0600, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Christopher R. Halbersma" <chalbersma.12@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I like to code as a hobby call me crazy if you will.  And I was
looking
around and I saw Haiku as a system that might be able to use the
skills of
a half decent coder/porter. So I installed Haiku (alpha) on a virtual
machine and I've been playing with it for about a month now. I'd rate
my
familiarty with the system as an advanced beginner.
So I'd figure I'd jump in and start coding/porting.  So my two
questions
are these: A) Should I port using the nightly builds or using the
Alpha
(or both)? B)

I usually build Haiku itself, and develop using a pretty recent
version. However, it's a good idea to know when to update -- reading
the commit list is definitely helpful for finding a candidate.

Apart from that, if you have found a stable version to work with, there
is little reason to change that unless your port needs certain bugs
fixed, or functionality only made available by more recent builds.

As Michael already pointed out, doing backups is certainly a good idea.
Using a VCS is definitely a good idea for this even for personal
projects, there are many choices, but "svn" is certainly a good one.

Obviously if the app uses c++ I need to use gcc but is there a long
term plan to move to clang?  If so should I make sure my c apps work
with
clang or is that optional?

That entirely on the future of clang. If it turns out to be a good idea
to use it for C++ projects, I see no reason why we shouldn't adopt it
in the future. However, I guess there shouldn't be any changes required
in the source code if it already compiles fine with GCC4.

Bye,
   Axel.

--
chalbersma.12@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Half the lies they tell about me aien't true." - Yogi Berra