[haiku-development] Re: Alpha 5

  • From: Kingdon Barrett <kingdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:05:21 -0400

+1 that things seem much better now, subjectively and without expressing
any opinion about a release

Rather than hash out this discussion again, I think there will be a bug
tracker page that contains a list of release blockers and this is a good
place to link it now.

Good opportunity to get familiar with the BTS if you haven't seen it
before, it seems to be this one:
https://dev.haiku-os.org/milestone/R1/alpha5
https://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=in-progress&status=reopened&status=new&group=status&milestone=R1%2Falpha5

I would assume all of the red blockers that are open still need to be
addressed, and it looks like at a glance there is that one kernel "crit"
bug which has been posted for 10 months, has written that it may be pushed
off until Beta1, but seems to affect all users of AMD hardware.

The other "critical" bug #10893 has been posted for 4 months with no
comment, but I think is being addressed as folks are working out how to
automate the haikuporter tree, and that will make it easier to address
every inconsistency in the tree and call a snapshot for release.  I think
that's important for a release too, since package management will be one of
the major new features in R1a5.

The critical bugs are not listed as blockers, but they sound important.  I
think we're getting closer.  I honestly haven't read the rest of the
tickets at all, or looked at this page before.

At this time there are 46% of the 87 tickets filed under Milestone R1a5
still open without resolution.  That's almost half.

I'm sure everyone's issue is important to them.  Please take a look and see
if there's anything you yourself can try to fix (even if you are not yet a
committer)!

--Kingdon

--
Kingdon Barrett <kingdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>