[haiku-development] Re: Alpha 1 praises / vim gripes.

> While absolutely not trying to diss anyone's personal preference, what's
> with all the concern lately about "vim"? I was under the impression it
> was provided as the "lowest common denominator" editor in case nothing
> else was installed.
>
> Caitlin

Blasphemy!

No but seriously, vim is way more powerful then any IDE. I personally do
not know any professional UNIX/Linux developers at my current company or
any previous company that don't use vim.  Even our team of PHP monkeys use
it.
Most good IDE's even try to mimic vi in some way (Komodo for example)

Color syntax, built in regex search, block editing, lightweight, no mouse
required.
delete one word/line/lines via a simple key combo (d1w,dd,d2d)
copy/paste word/line/lines via a simple key combo (y1w,yy,y2y)

pls. note this is not an attempt at a emacs/vi war.. just want to make sure
Haiku is the best os it can be :)

> I would think 'nano' was the "lowest common denominator editor" rather
> than vim.
>
> Nik

Actually ed is the "lowest common denominator editor" ;)

--------

I really don't see the big deal in including a complete and up to date
copy, vi is
a necessity to a lot of people and is included in every modern OS
(cough..except Windows)
vim 7.2 is not really a large package.  Give me some votes if you agree :)

--
Thanks!
Alexander von Gluck