[haiku-development] Re: All sorts of query/index problems on fresh installs of Haiku

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 18:13:02 +0100

On 03.03.2011 17:56, Urias McCullough wrote:
While setting up for SCALE9x this year, I kept running into the
problem described in https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/6085#comment:21

After repairing it with a reindex - I thought all was well - but
during the show, I kept running into other index/query issues with
email and audio/video files while trying to demonstrate live queries.

As you can imagine, this was pretty frustrating - as trying to
demonstrate the power of Haiku's BFS without it actually working is a
major downer :P

Interesting thing - after running ArmyKnife to create attributes from
my MP3s, queries worked, but apparently after a reboot they were toast
again. Same thing with email it seemed.

The only thing that seemed to work reliably during the show was
querying People files... what's up with that?

From the ticket, you seem to have the issue again and again, in various situations and forms, but I haven't seen a flakiness like this. I also worked a lot with queries during FOSDEM and to prepare for it. Don't really know what might be going on. The DeskBar problem, BTW, is very old. It has existed ever since the "security code" thing has been introduced in OpenTracker's DeskBar and I definitely remember having replicants disappear after every reboot in BeOS R5 because of it. Back then it seemed to depend on how your system was installed, i.e. migration via Tracker copy or via Installer onto a clean partition. I remember installing the replicants I wanted (ProcessController mostly) via the UserBootScript to work around the issue.

Best regards,
-Stephan