[haiku-development] Adobe Flash on Haiku

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:02:02 -0400

So I was thinking that there is probably about zero chance that Adobe
would port Flash to Haiku, at least in the foreseeable future. But
they have made a Linux version, even supporting the latest Flash 9. So
if we want to get Flash support on Haiku, there are at least two

1) Figure out what library calls the Linux Flash plug-in uses and
implement those minimum just to get the Flash plug-in working in
Haiku. I did a quick objdump of the plugin and it seems to use
pthreads, some X calls, parts of GDK and GTK, FreeType and some
fontconfig calls. Plus of course the Mozilla plug-in callbacks. So
quite a bit, which could be a big pain just for Flash support. But
still it would be neat ;)

Of course the first question is: are Linux .so files loadable in
Haiku, as long as all their dependencies are there?

2) Port Gnash:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

This seems to be in pretty active development, which can be good and
bad. Good in that new stuff is being added and bugs are being fixed,
but bad in that it could be hard to keep a port up-to-date. In
addition, it currently only supports up to Flash 7 (which fortunately
is the highest a lot of sites use.)

Gnash also has a lot of dependencies, but fortunately several are
already ported to Haiku (like AGG and SDL.)

Either way getting Flash won't be super easy. Of course I imagine most
of us could live without YouTube and Google Video and other Flash
sites, but at the end of the day lack of Flash just becomes one more
reason you can't use Haiku all day, every day.

Any input would be appreciated. But let's not let this discussion get
out of hand :)

Ryan

P.S. I know many core Haiku developers are trying to focus on just the
system right now, but it won't hurt to plan ahead a bit.