[haiku-development] Re: Adding some new OptionalPackages?

  • From: "mmlr@xxxxxxxx" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:54:41 +0200 (CEST)

Hi

> > One optional package that i'd find convenient to have is QEMU.
>
> Upstream QEMU is still waiting for a reworked set of patches, and I
> haven't heard from mmlr since last BeGeistert.
>
> I'd prefer to have this sorted out before putting an official Optional
> Package out in the wild... François pointed out some POSIX vs. BeOS
> error handling issues that I'm not sure are resolved yet, for instance.

There are several issues with the QEMU port. For one the POSIX error codes
mentioned above. Then it requires GCC4 for the most parts and the existing
"GCC2" binaries are pretty much a hack. Also they removed support for KQEMU in >
0.11 versions which makes it pretty unattractive to use, so an updated port
makes only limited sense.

There's a qemu-0.10.4 patch on my page
(http://haiku.mlotz.ch/qemu-0.10.4-haiku.diff) to get an idea. I had a newer one
for 0.11.1 but accidentally overwrote it, it's pretty much the same as for the
0.10.4 though. To build you'll have to use GCC4 to compile everything but the
Haiku specific parts, then switch to GCC2 and build the Haiku parts and link
everything together. This works since QEMU is otherwise pure C.

Regards
Michael