[haiku-development] Re: Adding attributes to media files with MediaPlayer (volume, etc.)

Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1503
>
> As indicated in the ticket I got a list of the
> attributes added by R5's MediaPlayer, which could
> be used as a start for what to add with Haiku's
> MediaPlayer.
> others (like the volume setting) might be useful
> even when loading files from a playlist.

I agree that it can be useful to have a per-file volume
attribute and some easy means to set this, but I think
it would be a mistake to make MediaPlayer's volume slider
serve only (or primarily) this purpose.

It would be awful setting a volume of 20% and have it
pop back to 100% for the next track, so I think the slider
should remain a MediaPlayer master volume.

A per-file value of 0-100% affecting the MediaPlayer's
master volume should work, but that would need to be
controlled either via a separate slider (file info panel?)
or a dual-mode volume slider, with either a press-and
hold modifier key or a mode change shortcut to change
between MediaPlayer volume and file volume.

Micromanaging the volumes on one playlist could break
another one. Videos are less problematic than audio,
since they're usually not stringed together to be played
in sequence, but it -could- happen with videos just as well.

I think per-file volumes should really be the odd exception
and not something stored for every file unless the user
truly wants that. (And snapping to 100% should remove the
attribute.)

>  Also does anyone know what the
> int64 inpoint and outpoint attributes are?

That must be the begin/end crop(?) widget things in
R5's MediaPlayer, and in SoundRecorder.

They're useful when looping a part of a video or audio
clip. Or when you want to always skip the beginning or
the end of some file.

> I'm mainly sending this email to inquiry if others think
> these are useful to add. I probably still won't have time
> to do it for the alpha though.

Sure! Would be nice having.

/Jonas.