[haiku-development] Re: Adding RDEFs to non-binary files

  • From: Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:40:47 -0500

On 2/27/2015 3:38 AM, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
Anyway, a separate application -- a real application, not a script -- could do the trick of running a JAR. However, that is really only a solution for this situation. There are similar ones that have the same issue.

What is missing in Haiku is an option to associate a file type with a command line instead of a preferred application. For JAR files one would simply set "java -jar %f". This would also be a solution for all file types where the handling application would actually be a script.

Agreed, but I'm not familiar enough with Registrar to try and modify it to support this...

The procedure is: 1. rc to resource file, 2. use resattr to add the resources as attributes. However, then you have the usual application attributes on a script, but I believe that doesn't help you with setting the script as a preferred application for a file type. I'm fairly sure BMimeType and/or BRoster check that the file is actually an application.
I see. What about Xicon, then? Pete, would you care to donate the source code for integration with Haiku?

-Augustin