[haiku-development] Re: Ada Compiler?

2009/9/6, Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Since the 95 standardization Ada has always had C bindings, while an
> Ada Binding would mean for nicer looking code (still better off than C
> in my opinion) It's very possible to just call through that.
>
> What features would you miss? I do understand Florist isn't feature
> complete, but again, there's no reason you can't use the C calls.

Most of the HaikuAPI is not C, but C++. Can you bind to that too ?

> Why not just add a flag at configuration? When flagged, the system
> will build with GNAT, and any other compilers included. Not all that
> different from building GCC, but it'd allow much easier support,
> without including GNAT in every single system.

I don't know much about gcc build system, but we would ahve to do this
both with the gcc2 and the gcc4 version, unless it is possible to get
something done at the binding level to mix C++ gcc2 code with ADA gcc4
code. And we don't want the compiler to be built each time we update
the tools used to compile Haiku itself, these are the one we provide
in the alpha image. It is possible to build an ADA compiler once for
the gcc2 version and publish it on bebit or haikuware, but this is not
to be done as part of the main OS toolchain. For the gcc4 version,
you'd better wait until the API is stabilized, this is scheduled for
Haiku R2. But one could provide "unsupported" builds for gcc4.

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
Elève ingénieur ENSSAT EII1- www.enssat.fr