[haiku-development] Re: Ada Compiler?

  • From: Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 18:30:53 -0400

On Sep 6, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Ryan Leavengood wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Patrick Kelly<kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> Not entirely correct. Haiku promised Binary compatibility with BeOS.
>> The issues with using GCCv4, is that there is still Source
>> compatibility, but no more Binary.
>
> Exactly, GCC4 is not binary compatible with GCC2 and since we are
> talking about binary compatibility GCC4 is not something Haiku has to
> worry about when promising binary compatibility with BeOS.
>
> Further there are new APIs introduced with Haiku (GUI layout
> management for example) that will not be used in BeOS programs and
> therefore are again not part of our concern over binary compatibility.

I'm pretty sure I was talking about Ada and the GCC on Haiku. Somehow
I don't think to many BeOS programs were written in Ada. So where the
issue of Binary compatibility came in, well I'm just lost.

In API stability, I was referring to an API that stays backwards
compatible with the source of older programs (ie. Solaris).

>> If you need an example, I'd suggest
>> checking out some of the AROS mailing lists, they'd be happy to
>> explain in full detail. Compatibility between major versions has to
>> do
>> more with not caring about backwards compatibility. API's are changed
>> (mangled as you said) rather than added.
>
> By name mangling I meant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_mangling

I see, I tend to take words literally, it helps if phrases are 'quoted
with singles' as is the english standard any-who. Sorry about the
misunderstanding.

> If you read the above you can see in the "How different compilers
> mangle the same functions" section that the name mangling used by GCC
> 3.x and 4.x is different than that used by GCC 2.9x. Maybe you already
> know this, but I'm not sure based on your emails.

  I honestly don't follow the GCC much. I use different compilers for
my work, GCC doesn't meet our quality standards, and doesn't support
JIT. Since Haiku isn't a for-profit project, GNAT is basically the
only compiler I would have to offer.

> I will take a look at the AROS mailing list as there is always
> something useful to learn from other projects. But I think the Haiku
> binary compatibility issue has been pretty well thought out.

Oh yes I wasn't suggesting Haiku break binary compatibility with BeOS.
I was merely questioning why supporting Ada would be any different
given GCCv2 and GCCv4.