[haiku-development] Re: AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: Ralf Schülke <teammaui@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 21:12:00 +0200

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 20:44:53 +0200, Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Jonas Sundstrom <jonas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2) Length of the Developers and Contributors lists

These lists are ridiculously long

Most people don´t stay to read the credits after the
movie. Does that mean they should be dropped or cut?
Of course not. These things matter to all the people
involved. So what if its pride or bias.

I did not say that they should cut/removed: I suggested that they be
moved elsewhere. I am sure you can appreciate the difference.

Of course we want to keep the list! In some form.
It´s part of the culture, open-source and other
forms before it, like the Amiga/Atari demoscenes.

I have used/tried other open source OSes and products, and I have
never seen such a ridiculously long list anywhere. Besides, as I
already said, it's not like we are saying that people would not get
credit; it would just be somewhere else.

Haiku as a product is primarily code and data.
(binaries, text, images, sounds, documentation)

Its easy to track contributions of these forms
of code and data, regardless of whether it has
been contributed  directly or indirectly, and
its usually developers (of some kind) who make
these kind of contributions and thus end up in
the credits. Such lists usually start from a
copyright point-of-view. This is probably why
also -our- list is primarily enumerating contributors
of copyrightable material.

I agree that it would be good to find a way to
also honor contributors of support, marketing,
community activities, accounting, legal advice,
etc. (I apologize for not coming up with a long
list. I´m sure there are all kinds of contributions
one could list. Recurring donations maybe! ;)

About putting list online. If so, why not try
to make a database of all kinds of contributions,
which can be sliced and diced and presented in all
kinds of ways. Most productive developer (in lines
of code), best liked person (voting), etc. Data
could be extracted from SVN to show which persons
contributed the most code to the current release,
the previous release, etc.

I personally think the credit list was already
reasonably "accurate, concise, and manageable"
and I believe that opening up the list to other
forms of contribution would makes it a lot less
of all three.

I cannot disagree more:

* The Team Leads list is very far from being accurate.

* The list of developers has 100+ names. I don't think that's
anybody's idea of concise.

* These lists being in the OS itself makes them less manageable. An
online page that would be easier to keep the list up to date in a more
timely manner and over time. A web page would also make it easier to
format or even categorize the lists so that we can get closer to
giving everyone the credit they deserve regardless of whether it is a
developer or not (like, as you proposed, adding links to donor pages).

I am not trying to have a flame war, nor am I trying to offend or take
credit away from anyone. I just think the status quo is flawed, and I
am trying make people aware of that. Anyway, I think I have said what
I wanted to say (and repeated myself a few times; forgive me for
that). I rest my case now; hopefully, something will be done.

Hi,
A other perspective:
Why need add the name from the people?
we make a free opensource products = HAIKU OS !
eg in KDE i cant found in the about a people name, but i
can found info about the product.

So i hope this helps and stop the endles loop of discussions.
I dont like hype a people, i respect all he help to make a products.

--
Ralf Schülke aka stargater