[haiku-development] Re: AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 04:46:57 +0200

On 2008-08-29 at 03:05:37 [+0200], Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Jonas Sundstrom <jonas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> How much contribution is enough to qualify for a line in the credits?
> >> http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/haiku/haiku/trunk/src/bin/alert.cpp
> >>
> > You should definitely be mentioned in "AboutSystem".
>
> The credits list in the AboutSystem app is very inaccurate and
> misleading, and IMHO it needs to be rethinked. There two problems:
>
> 1) Team Leads list
>
> By the position in the AboutSystem window and the nature of its name,
> the "Team Leads" list gives the strong impression that includes the
> names of the most active and/or substantial contributors and that
> these contributors are the leaders of the project, respectively. But
> in reality, this is just a remnant of a team-based operational
> structure that the project tried at the beginning but that has been
> dropped many years ago; the list even includes people that have not
> submitted code in a long time, or that have even declared to have left
> the project, and in contrast is missing at least one very prominent
> and active Haiku developers that has been in a position of leadership
> for quite some time. I think the best would be to simplify this list
> as follows:

It was my impression that before the admin team was disbandonded most people
seemed to agree that the list should just be merged with the developer list. I
guess only nobody got around to do that yet.

> 2) Length of the Developers and Contributors lists
>
> These lists are ridiculously long (and they can only get longer and
> more difficult to manage). People come and go, and there is always the
> fear of upsetting someone if names are moved or removed (this is what
> stopped us from making changes in past attempts to do so). I think we
> need to overcome this fear and in order to make the AboutSystem more
> manageable, we should move this lists online.
>
> To that end, I propose the following format/content for the credits list:
>
> *****************
> Haiku
>   Copyright 2001 - 2008 Haiku, Inc.
>   <url>http://haiku-os.org</url>

This reminds me, that this is not even accurate. Most code is copyright by the
individual authors.

> Project Leaders
>   Axel Dorfler

("Dörfler" (or "Doerfler" when an "ö" is not at hand))

>   Ingo Weinhold
>   Stephan Assmuss

("Aßmus" (or "Assmus" when an "ß" is not at hand))

I certainly don't claim to be a "project leader", besides that there is no
such position. It was agreed that the developers (with commit access) would
make development related decisions, if necessary by vote.

> Project contributors:
>   Many people have contributed to the Haiku Project. Check out the
> <url>Contributors list</ulr> online.
>
> Special Thanks
>   Travis Geiselbrecht (for his <url>NewOS</url> kernel)
>   Michael Phipps (for founding the project)
>
> Copyrights
>   <list of copyrights>
> *****************
>
> This would make the credits information accurate, concise, and
> manageable. The list of contributors online could be done in a number
> of ways (single or multiple pages, etc.) and edited over time as
> needed; that way, we would have the ability to present more accurate
> credit information regardless of what Haiku build/version the user is
> using.

I'm generally not opposed to moving the lists online, though there are also
alternatives, like linking to a local document, which has the advantages that
one doesn't need internet access to read it and that it will reflect the
credits belonging to the installed version of Haiku.

CU, Ingo