[haiku-development] Re: AboutSystem window credits (was: Testing the poll)

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:10:54 -0700

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Jonas Sundstrom <jonas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:41 PM, Ryan Leavengood <
>> leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > I think there is a definite difference between a "contributor" and
>> > developer, so I don't like the idea of putting them on the same
>> > list
>> > (though I don't know if you are proposing that.) I think the
>> > developers with commit access who are reasonably active should have
>> > some precedence in these lists.
>>
>> I think that's an arrogant position. There are
>> non-developers that have contributed substantially
>> to the project, more than many developers. Why
>> should they be considered less a priori?
>
> I don´t think what Ryan wrote says much about
> non-developers. They´re like a blind spot, or
> outside the scope of this.

Why should non-developers be outside of the scope? Because we are less
in numbers does not mean that we contribute less significantly, which
is what Ryan's and your position implies, and that I think is
arrogant.

> The credit list is development-centric, and
> developers are simply the contributors who
> have shown endurance, staminay and loyalty.

The project is developer centric, but that should not be relevant in
the context of giving credit. I see no reason why the level of
contribution and commitment of an individual should be measured
differently based on whether the contributor is a dev or not.

There are developers and developers. Out of the 100+ developers listed
in the AboutSystem window, the ones that have shown endurance, stamina
and loyalty can be counted with one hand. Those I strongly believe
deserve credit above everyone else, and that's I proposed a separate
list of "Project Leaders" (please see my original post on this
thread).

> Its not undue to honor their commitment.

Grouping devs that have clearly excelled above the rest into a blanket
list with the rest does less honor to their commitment IMO.

> The current list´s committer enumeration tries
> to approximate this. It fails of course. I, for
> example, have commit access, but I haven´t shown
> much of those qualities lately, or ever.

Using the list of commiters as criteria for this and other things
(like voting and/or wiki edit rights) is flawed unless the list is
updated over time based on whether the devs are actually active or not
(which it has never been), and biased against non-developers as it
leaves them out even when they may have contributed more than many
developers.

Jorge