[haiku-development] Re: About native keymap switching solution. (Was: Looking for feedback on enhancements for dealing with Mac keyboards with Haiku)

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:03 AM, Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 18:40:18 -0500, John Scipione wrote:
>
>> Of course the problem with a key combo is that the keys you press could
>> change when you
>> changed your keymap... perhaps we could hard code something for this.
>>

> Hard-coding is bad. As maintainer of KeymapSwitcher I can say that people
> want to link the keymap switch event on any combination they can invent. At
> least I was pushed with such requests ever many times. One solution can be
> utilizing the power of our Shortcuts Preflet for activating "keymap switch"
> in input_server for example. The input_server can maintain all configured
> keymap tables in memory and perform characters translation (and shortcut
> adjusting) on the fly without bothering with keymap files.

Okay, lets come up with a default key combination and then make it
configurable in the Shortcuts Preflet. Command (Alt) + Space is probably
not very good. It should be something easy to push but not used by other
apps. Any suggestions?

> By the way - the "Windows-Linux" modifier settings are not working with
> KEymapSwitcher because this setting is stored directly in Key_map file and
> overwritten to default one on every keymap switch.

I have no idea how to solve that. Maybe instead of modifying the keymap the
button could set a flag in input_server.

John Scipione