[haiku-development] Re: About System

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 23:37:23 +0200

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> On 2008-09-01 at 19:22:18 [+0200], julun <host.haiku@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Stephan Assmus schrieb:
> > >
> > > I can assure you that I have much greater source of motivation then
> > > to be in the About Window. However, I tried to improve on some
> > > injustice (for example, Koki was not anywhere in the Credits, despite
> > > doing quite a lot for Haiku behind and in front of the scenes) and
> > > some "outdatedness". I am sorry it took a bit of discussion and am
> > > hoping that my improvements will be good again for a while. :-)
> >
> > I'm all for it. Everyone should be mentioned there, regardless of who,
> > what, how nor the the amount he contributed. If this list gets long,
> > who cares. But i hate the feeling that we need to build up a ranking
> > just to shine in how much e.g one has done. Feels strange.
>
> I wholeheartedly agree. The ranking is really getting ridiculous IMHO.
>
> I would simply split the developers group into three sections: "current
> maintainers" (everyone with commit access who's not is the second group),
> "past maintainers" (everyone who has or had commit access, but hasn't
> been active for x months/y years (or since the previous release)), "code
> contributors" (people who sent patches). An analogous grouping could be
> done for the non-development-related contributors. All groups would be
> ordered alphabetically by last name (as it was).

Ok, I can do that, it makes sense and seems to avoid the bad feelings that
some of you are getting. I only tried to address the opinion expressed by
multiple people that outstanding contributors should get special mention.
Even Karsten said as much. This affected nine people and I felt that this
articial line happened to be pretty fair and really included the most
influential developers.

Best regards,
-Stephan