[haiku-development] Re: About System

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 12:17:39 -0700

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Karsten,
>
> julun wrote:
>> i don't get what's going on here. Is this project and commitment all
>> about to be in the About window? Sure it's nice to be mentioned there,
>> but i thought there is a bigger goal. This discussions feels totally
>> strange! Honestly, if that's the only motivation people have i will move
>> on...
>
> I can assure you that I have much greater source of motivation then to be
> in the About Window. However, I tried to improve on some injustice (for
> example, Koki was not anywhere in the Credits, despite doing quite a lot
> for Haiku behind and in front of the scenes) and some "outdatedness". I am
> sorry it took a bit of discussion and am hoping that my improvements will
> be good again for a while. :-)

A lot of responses since my last post, so I will try to summarize.

First of all: I did NOT start this thread because I wanted to get
credit for anything or be added to the credits list. I really don't
care about getting credit. In fact, last year I specifically requested
to be removed from the About window, and my feelings in this regards
have not changed. So, Stippi, please remove my name from the credits.

In the context of the information in the AboutSystem window, Ingo
noted the inaccuracy about the copyright notice, and I agree with him
that it should reflect the fact that it is not solely Haiku Inc. that
holds the copyright of the code. It does not look like this has been
changed, but maybe I missed it.

As a general observation to some of the message with regards to the
credit list, I think there is no need to go from the extreme of
neglect to the other extreme of trying to overmanage it. As was noted,
lines of code committed to the Haiku repo do not necessarily represent
degree of contribution acurrately, even for developers. So I don't
think that trying to automate the creation/management of the list is
the solution. I think we need a combination of fair judgement, good
communication and medium to manage the lists that is easily accessible
and flexible; for this, I would think that the web is the best place,
but I realize this is not going to fly, so I rest my case in this
respect.

I saw the "Website, Marketing & Documention" list that was added in
the last commit, and my first reaction was: is that really accurate? I
mean, do people like Philippe Houdoin, Marcus Overhagen and Ingo
Weinhold belong to such a list? I don't know, maybe I am just missing
something...

With regards to the bigger picture of Haiku Inc. as it relates to the
project that Andre brought to the discussion, I will reply in another
thread to avoid going on a tangent.

Jorge