[haiku-development] Re: APM and shutdown

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:17:07 +0200 CEST

> >> Is there still a reason for not turning on APM by default? Axel
> >> reported it not working for one out of four of his machines three
> >> years ago (r16152) and Jack wrote in #2179 it panicked for him in
> > > the
> >> past, so maybe that could be re-tested to see if it's fixed now or
> >> specific to certain hardware?
> >
> > Indeed it's said to be unreliable on some hardware.
> > Though on most I think using it to shutdown should work.
>
> The interesting questions then are:
>
> (i) How should we check?
> (ii) For how many does it work, for how many not?
> (iii) Can we blacklist based on APM version, board or something?
>
> Does APM affect more parts of Haiku than just the shutdown? (is a
> notebook needed to reproduce?)

Not for now, as long as someone doesn't try to suspend.
Hmm actually it might also try to report battery status.
I recall fixing the apm driver to also loop on the messages from the
BIOS, but I do'nt think we use that original driver anyway.

> Even if we can't automatically select depending on hardware, if it
> works for VMware and QEMU we could enable it for the Build Factory
> images at least.

There is always a disable APM in boot menu though...

François.