[haiku-development] Re: A tale of two accelerant API's

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:00:06 +0100

Am 11/02/2013 18:36, schrieb Alexander von Gluck IV:
Thats kind of what I felt once I saw it. I wasn't sure however as the use

Didn't even know (or probably rather remembered) it existed :-)

for that version field is a little vague.  Be must of known the interface
between the accelerants and app server would need to change some day.
The number of ioctl's is massive.

The term "ioctls" is misleading here, as these are opcodes for the accelerant interface; the actual ioctl() function is not being used.

See this for a complete list i've been working on with changes I'm
planning.
http://goo.gl/Xr4ZX

Just one note: the B_GET_MONITOR_INFO method has been introduced along with the EDID support functions (by me), as the monitor info is not always retrieved via EDID. Drivers should still have a way to specify the resolution/type/serial number of their LVDS panel, for example.

B_PROPOSE_DISPLAY_MODE is used to change a completely user defined mode in a way that the hardware (graphics card and monitor) are able to show it. Still useful if you don't want to use the native mode, for example for games with a fixed resolution.

Another sign that Be was *really* planning well for the future :)

How so? AFAICT they pretty much made the interface as needed, without giving future enhancements much thought (besides the accelerant version, apparently).

The mouse cursor may be head specific as well, btw, ie. if supported, you should be able to use different cursors on different monitors at the same time (think multi-user).

Bye,
   Axel.