[haiku-development] Re: A tale of two accelerant API's

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:13:48 -0500

looncraz wrote:

If you actually wanted the apps running on the main computer, and the tablet merely displaying the interface and results, then the main computer would need to treat each device as an input and output and would still need to tell the tablet what to render. This model is just silly to me ;-)

Sounds like everyone wants to turn everything into one big cloud/mainframe, and honestly. This should scare the hell out of anyone thinking this is a good idea, multiple, independent, incompatible systems is a plus in regards to data security. Mono culture is a bad raw deal that makes everyone vulnerable. Not only that, but we are many years from the type of widespread wireless bandwidth to even begin to think about it. This is like a SciFi fantasy land, the band width isn't available unless we start canablizing lots of baseband and putting in massive networking infastructure. It simply isn't a good or feasable model imho.

Please let the cloud die, and megaupload and its death really proved how fool hardy the idea of the cloud was.

I think it is more likely that tablets and the like will remain self-contained units which will access files via a network connection or similar port-like interface and the main computer will begin to host numerous interface points in the home... just like we do today.

Yes they will, but they will not be contect creation devices, at least not using touch input, and when you reach this, you realize that the rediculousness of the form factor make typing a book report a pain in the ass. Tablet are going to be in bathrooms displaying online magazines and similar media for years to come, but they will not replace desktops, just as laptops have yet to replace desktops. I can't imagine trying to use Uni-Graphics to design parts using a laptop, the cpu power, screen size and input devices are just to clumsy for good interaction.

A centralized home computer is becoming increasingly likely - but that is very much hardware dependent... and Haiku is in no position to push the boundaries of technology, merely to try and predict them... or react to them. It is still Microsoft's game - and they are going in a different direction - one where computers are cheap and plentiful, and each machine uses its own software and each user has their own machine...

whats becoming increasingly common, is home network shared data servers, like Lan drives. Those are becoming popular, with the drive hosting content like movies etc for everyone in the house to watch.
This mates up close with 1st world reality... but it ends there

When we have wireless displays which have speakers and input (touch, most likely, possibly with a physical keyboard connected by wireless or USB to the display) then Haiku will want to be able to connect to those devices and treat them either as a cloned unit, or as an independent user session... Then you could have one computer for the house / school room / library, and multiple heads with which users interact. I think this is a decade or more off... wireless bandwidth is drying up quickly and displays are very bandwidth heavy... though there is nothing stopping someone from developing cheap fiber-optic cabling to run the displays and having this go mainstream...oh, except Microsoft again... since the hardware makers usually must follow their lead.

never gonna happen, they will develope brain interface technology first, which makes the whole wireless paradigm more practical anyways.

Sean