[haiku-development] Re: A tale of two accelerant API's

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 06:25:00PM -0500, John Scipione wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM, looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2/11/2013 14:04, pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> Two users at the same time, on the same computer, using different monitors
> >> and mouses but sharing the video card. I'd say that's an unlikely
> >> situation,
> >> however.
> >
> > It could be quite useful, actually.  Imagine a single computer running two
> > keyboards, two mice, and two monitors - facing away from each other on a
> > desk.
> > [...]
> > I doubt I'm alone in finding this potentially useful ;-)
>
> The world seems to be moving in the opposite direction with devices
> becoming smaller and more personal while simultaneously providing
> ubiquitous interaction with other devices and users via networking,
> both social and physical. There is a built-in assumption that a single
> person is in control of the computer rather than accommodating
> multiple simultaneous users.
>
> This seems like a lot of work to accomplish something that is becoming
> less and less practical everyday. It's certainly a feature I'd never
> want to use since I don't want to build up my system with redundant
> resources to accommodate others, instead I want tighter integration of
> components to facilitate a more seamless, more personal user
> interaction.

That's pretty much the way I feel about all this.  More than one user
per CPU is becoming more and more of a rarity these days, except for
massive sharing in "the Cloud" and such.  How much call is there for
multi-user Windows...? (:-/)  And how many home Linux installations
serve more than one person at a time?

Data sharing is another matter.  A cooperative environment can be very
desirable, but I see that as having multiple access to a common database.
Each user gets their own view and controls, and usually it's much more
convenient if that's on their own processor and display.  Only the
data has a common source.

With the approaching Reign of the Tablets, I'd say it is much more
important for Haiku to think about touch-control [if that can be done
without violating dozens of patents...], than multi-user.

        -- Pete --