[haiku-development] Re: A modest (FatELF) proposal

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:49:29 +0100

On 11/29/2012 06:02 PM, pulkomandy wrote:
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 01:06:32PM +0100, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
Since we have packagefs which virtually extracts our packages, we
can do all kinds of crazy things. packagefs could virtually merge
executables from packages for different ABIs to a FatELF executable.
This would allow smooth inter-operation with a FatELF tool chain
while still having the ability to install only a single ABI and
add/remove other ones at any point.

Do we need to do that at the file level at all ? If we're not actually
building fat elf binaries straight from the toolchain, we could make the
package fs make a different lib/ folder show up for each architecture,
with only the libs available for this particular architecture.

This needs a support in the toolchain (-l has to look at the libs for
the target binary, not the one for the gcc that's running), but then it
will be about as trasnparent to users and devs as it is right now:

Changing the file system depending on criteria not obvious to the user is not a good idea IMO. ls, Tracker, and other programs would show a view on the file system depending on their own ABI, which may be confusing or annoying.

CU, Ingo