[haiku-development] Re: 64 bit

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 07:32:57 +0200

On 11.09.2014 22:00, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
Am 11.09.2014 21:37, schrieb Ryan Leavengood:
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

In any case, if that time ever comes, I would hope that we would simply
restrict posting to authorized users, and not fully close it.

We do not need to restrict this list.

I agree, that we shouldn't restrict the list to a select group of people. I do think, however, that we should make it clearer what kind of topics are acceptable.

It is easy enough for people to
ignore the discussions that they choose to, at least in a good
threading email reader.

I would find it sad to have to ignore whole threads on this list. As the discussions tend to go, there's always the chance of missing something interesting or relevant, or that something is posted that needs to be contradicted (alas the more likely case).

Haiku will never move forward if we only allow
opinions and discussions from existing people. Many times new ideas
from new people are what helps change something for the better.

I agree. However, there's very little point in having lengthy discussions about stuff that won't become relevant anytime soon. And I can totally do without the tons of emotional and/or ignorant mails we've been seeing lately (usually by non-committers). They contribute nothing but waste the time of those who actually do contribute.

+1. I think the creation of the haiku-glasselevator list was premature.
Also, I think the people developing Haiku and the people interested in
discussing the future of the project need to be the same people. If I
were an outsider and wanted to present my thoughts, it would be lame to
only reach a small subset of the developers.

I disagree. I very much liked the old glass elevator list. I think it was originally meant to actually discuss stuff that could/should be implemented eventually, but I think it mainly severed the purpose of keeping not immediately relevant and distracting discussions off the main development list. I never subscribed and I doubt that I've missed anything.

CU, Ingo