[haiku-development] Re: 64 bit

  • From: Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 08:36:48 -0700

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 08:30:37 -0700, Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As a practical matter, I think it's only a matter of time before you
will have to close this list altogether to users, self-styled 3rd party
developers, etc., to avoid constant repetition of these little dramas.
Each one of them will profess to only be looking out for the welfare
and prosperity of Haiku, etc., but there are many of them and few of you,
and they will run you ragged.  Let them go to the forums.

The problem with that is people like me. I do not have commit access, but I do occasionally contribute code. This list is the best place to ask questions when I have them.

Sure, you could make a case-by-case ruling on each person, and I'd probably be allowed to stay to on the list in that case, but then what do you do about newcomers who want to contribute but have questions?

So you'd basically have to allow everyone entry, and then make a case-by-case decision about when to boot somebody, and making the decision to boot somebody from an otherwise open list is harder than making the decision to allow someone onto a closed list.

In any case, if that time ever comes, I would hope that we would simply restrict posting to authorized users, and not fully close it.