[haiku-development] Re: 3dfx Video Driver Question

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 23:15:04 +0200

On 2010-06-20 at 22:42:53 [+0200], Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> About a month ago in a thread about the 3dfx video driver, I stated that
> I would add overlay support in the driver.  The overlay code is working;
>   however, the 3dfx chips do not appear to support scaling < 100%.  If
> scaling is enabled and scaling is < 100%, the overlay image is blank.
> An alternative is to disable scaling when scaling is < 100%.  In this
> case, the image is displayed at 100%, but only part of the image that
> will fit in the window is visible.  For example, if scaling is set to
> 50% via the Media Player menu, only the upper-left quarter of the image
> is visible.
>
> Which is preferred when scaling is set < 100%?  The image go blank, or
> only part of the image is displayed.

I don't remember if I have such code in the MediaPlayer, but in theory,
there is an API for obtaining overlay_restrictions from the app_server
which includes minimum and maximum scaling. MediaPlayer could then just
have those impossible scaling options disabled, and also lock the window
size accordingly. But to answer your question, I'd prefer if the driver
falls back to showing only a portion of the video in case an appication
ignores the restrictions.

Best regards,
-Stephan