[haiku-cdt] Re: [openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants (summary 1)

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:00:48 +0100

-- Stephan Assmus, on Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:36:21 +0100:
> > The above won't get rid of the "Show/Hide Replicant" setting yet,
> > but how
> > about this:
> >
> > * Remove "Show/Hide Replicant" from Deskbar.
> > * Show Replicants by default.
> > * Add a "Show/Hide all Replicants" to every Replicant's context
> > menu.
> >
> > When newbie users first encounter a Replicant handle (they are
> > shown by
> > default), they'll right-click on it sooner or later. They discover
> > the
> > setting "Show/Hide all Replicants". Try it out. "Oops, where's the
> > fugly
> > handle?". Mouse-over. "Ah!" Toggle on/off/on/off/on/off. Lesson
> > learnt.
>
> I don't like it so much, because it doesn't solve the problem that
> once the
> user has turned replicant handles off, he doesn't realize new
> replicants
> when he sees them.

They would still appear always on mouse-over regardless of the
Show/Hide setting which only tells if to show/hide when the mouse is
_not_ on top of the replicant.
When he's curious if a new app has some hidden Replicant functionality,
and doesn't feel like blindly moving with the mouse over it, he either
goes to Appearance for the Hide/Show setting or any other Replicant he
knows and hovers with the mouse over it for it to appear and uses its
context menu to show all handles.

> I would favor a solution that shows the replicant
> handles as soon as the mouse is anywhere over the replicant view
> (fading in
> fast and out more slowly).

This wouldn't change what I just wrote above, but would increase the
probability of a mouse over proportional to the area size of the
Replicant view over just its handle area. So, +1 for that.

Depending how often these casual mouse-overs reveal Replicant handles,
we could decide to scrap the Show/Hide setting in Appearances
completely one day. Tough, as long as it leaves the Deskbar menu, I'm
also OK to keep it there...

-- Axel Dörfler, on Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:40:13 +0100:
> Furthermore, the replicants "on" setting could also only show a dark
> corner on the view to mark them when the mouse is not over the view.
> Only the off setting could completely hide any marks (not sure if
> that's
> necessary, though).

Maybe. OTOH, depending on the background colour, it may be pretty hard
to see. And if not, it could look like some visual glitch.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de