[haiku-cdt] Re: [openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants (summary 1)

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 07:44:53 +0100

-- Ryan Leavengood, on Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:24:02 -0500:
> > The problem I see with "only-visible-on-mouse-overs" is: How can a
> > user
> > learn about their existence if not by accident?
>
> Maybe it is lame but there could always be a popup window the first
> time the replicant handle fades in which explains what it is (along
> with a checkbox to not show that popup again.)

In general, I'm not a fan of that.
It also doesn't solve the problem that to fade in, you have to blindly
find the thing in the first place.

> You know I had no idea about the Z and H shortcuts. I suppose I
> really
> should read the whole user guide :)

Everyone should, of course. :)
Actually, I'm thinking of one day condensing the absolute essential
parts to a "Quick Tour" to explain the most important parts like GUI
and shortcuts for newcomers. That could be shown by default on first
bootup or, better maybe, while installing Haiku.

> This idea isn't too bad, but I would have to see it in action first.
> Also in general I don't like things fading in and out over a whole
> system based on a key press. So I think this behavior might get
> pretty
> annoying pretty quickly.

Yeah. Could be... just stormbraining.

> Why not just make a much nicer looking and less distracting replicant
> handle and show it all the time?

In order to be used in all space constrained places, the handle has to
be tiny. Ryan Leavengood, I challenge thee to come up with a
significantly more pleasing symbol that size. :)

> I am starting to feel we are overthinking this.

Me too.

Here's my summary so far:

* Most people hide the ugly-because-tiny handle when they don't need
acccess to it.
* Doing a mouse-over on hidden handles, saves toggles of "Show/Hide
Replicants".
* The mouse-over should show the handle immediately, but fade away a
little more slowly (500ms?) so as not to startle the user.
* The mouse-over-symbol could be bigger than the permanently-shown
version to appease the aesthets.

The above won't get rid of the "Show/Hide Replicant" setting yet, but
how about this:

* Remove "Show/Hide Replicant" from Deskbar.
* Show Replicants by default.
* Add a "Show/Hide all Replicants" to every Replicant's context menu.

When newbie users first encounter a Replicant handle (they are shown by
default), they'll right-click on it sooner or later. They discover the
setting "Show/Hide all Replicants". Try it out. "Oops, where's the
fugly handle?". Mouse-over. "Ah!" Toggle on/off/on/off/on/off. Lesson
learnt.

Good?

Regards,
Humdinger