[haiku-cdt] Re: [openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:24:02 -0500

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A moving symbol on mouse-over? I don't think I would like that at all.
> Quick fade in, slower fade out so nobody gets startled, is less
> obtrusive.

I agree. In general I think the idea of a triangle or something fading
in on mouseover is pretty good.

> The problem I see with "only-visible-on-mouse-overs" is: How can a user
> learn about their existence if not by accident?

Maybe it is lame but there could always be a popup window the first
time the replicant handle fades in which explains what it is (along
with a checkbox to not show that popup again.)

> Please reread what I wrote. It's not a keycombo especially for
> Replicants. It's the general key-combo used for window management, i.e.
> moving windows (hopefully resizing as well some day), switching
> Workspaces (Cursor), maximazing windows (Z), hiding windows (H)...
> anything you start with pressing CTRL+ALT.
> If that action would "light up" Replicants, it'd be a way to show the
> user where they all lurk.

You know I had no idea about the Z and H shortcuts. I suppose I really
should read the whole user guide :)

This idea isn't too bad, but I would have to see it in action first.
Also in general I don't like things fading in and out over a whole
system based on a key press. So I think this behavior might get pretty
annoying pretty quickly.

> If anyone has other ideas to contribute on how to educate users of
> available Replicants without a hidden setting or prominent show/hide
> Deskbar item, so they don't have to aimlessly graze the GUI for them,
> go ahead.

Why not just make a much nicer looking and less distracting replicant
handle and show it all the time?

I am starting to feel we are overthinking this.