[haiku-cdt] Re: [openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:31:32 +0100

-- Eddy Groen, on Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:41:36 +0100:
> 2009/11/17 Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > -- Axel Dörfler, on Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:47:00 +0100:
> > > But that's not really a good solution. I think it would be much
> > > nicer
> > > if the "hands" would be visible on mouse over when they are
> > > disabled,
> > > or have at least some way to delete the replicant.
> > > Moving/resizing
> > > would indeed also be nice.
> >
> > Good idea, then you wouldn't have to toggle the "Show Replicant"
> > setting.

This part of my comment was a bit premature on my part, as I tried to
describe later in that mail.

> This is why I proposed the translucid black triangle sliding into the
> right
> bottom corner when hovering your mouse over it. It does away with the
> fairly
> ugly hand and does what is proposed by Humdinger & Axel.

A moving symbol on mouse-over? I don't think I would like that at all.
Quick fade in, slower fade out so nobody gets startled, is less
obtrusive.

> When they see the triangle, they'd be more like: "hey, what does
> this thing do?" This also solves Humdinger's problem with the fading
> handle
> at startup getting annoying.

By having a moving symbol on every casual mouse-over instead?

I think, so far we all agree that a "appear-on-mouse-over" (whatever
the used effect will be) is a good idea. So let's say it will be
implemented for now.

The problem I see with "only-visible-on-mouse-overs" is: How can a user
learn about their existence if not by accident?

I offered 3 possible solutions.
The first, admittedly, most obnoxious...

> > 2. Show all visible handles while using the "window manager" key
> > combo, CTRL+ALT for now, that's used to move windows and between
> > workspaces.
>
> Are replicants really that important that they need a key combination
> as
> well?

Please reread what I wrote. It's not a keycombo especially for
Replicants. It's the general key-combo used for window management, i.e.
moving windows (hopefully resizing as well some day), switching
Workspaces (Cursor), maximazing windows (Z), hiding windows (H)...
anything you start with pressing CTRL+ALT.
If that action would "light up" Replicants, it'd be a way to show the
user where they all lurk.

> >  3. Show handles while a window is moved or resized. Again the
> > fading
> > effect to prompt a later mouse-over.
>
> Disagree. Replicants don't have anything to do with moving or
> resizing that
> window.

Well, it was just one possible way I could come up with. It wasn't my
conclusion, it being the best solution...
It does have two advantages, however: Contrary to 2.), moving windows
is definitely somethig every single user does and it's limited to the
active window.

If anyone has other ideas to contribute on how to educate users of
available Replicants without a hidden setting or prominent show/hide
Deskbar item, so they don't have to aimlessly graze the GUI for them,
go ahead.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de