[haiku-cdt] Re: [openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CDT ML" <haiku-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:45:17 +0100

-- Axel Dörfler, on Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:47:00 +0100:
> "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Since the handle is only need for the actual replication from its
> > mother app and if you want to move or delete the Replicant, I don't
> > see why anyone should have "Show Replicants" (which really should
> > be
> > called "Show Replicant Handle") activated at all. When you discover
> > a new
> > app, activate the handles to see if any are around, then deactivate
> > again.
>
> But that's not really a good solution. I think it would be much nicer
> if the "hands" would be visible on mouse over when they are disabled,
> or have at least some way to delete the replicant. Moving/resizing
> would indeed also be nice.

Good idea, then you wouldn't have to toggle the "Show Replicant"
setting.
One got used to it, but this setting actually doesn't belong into the
Deskbar at all. It's there for convenience, but it doesn't really fit.
It's more an Appearance setting.

If we can find some way to inform a user of the existence of a
replicable element, we could scrap it completely. Mouse-overs are
great, if you already know where a handle is...

Some ideas:

 1. Show handles for 2 seconds after a window was Show()n and then fade
slowly. Could get annoying....

 2. Show all visible handles while using the "window manager" key
combo, CTRL+ALT for now, that's used to move windows and between
workspaces. Also use a fading effect here when releasing the key-combo.
The user sees that there's something and can do the mouse-over.
The key-combo should be used by a large number of users, but what about
the ones who'll always use the mouse for these things?

 3. Show handles while a window is moved or resized. Again the fading
effect to prompt a later mouse-over.

Point 2) would show all handles of every Replicant, 1) and 3) only of
the one in that particular window.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de