[openbeos-cdt] Re: installer: .pkg dependencies

  • From: Łukasz 'Sil2100' Zemczak <sil2100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:16:17 +0200

Hi there,

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:
> Hi,
> do you have any ideas for handling the case when a package conflicts
> with some other package (i.e.: wants to overwrite files of some other
> package)?

Not quite. I did think about warning the user about this happening, but
no feasible solution for further handling this case popped in my mind.

But one of my few, better ideas was to give the user the choice of
making backup copies of the conflicting files, and installing the ones
from the current package. For instance, CoolApp2 would want to overwrite
some files belonging to CoolApp1, so the user agrees to make backup
copies of the CoolApp1 files and install those from CoolApp2. Now, when
CoolApp2 would be uninstalled, backups would be put in their place
again. If, however, CoolApp1 would be uninstalled, only the backups
would be removed and the information about their existence erased.

> I thought about warning the user in that case and allow for
> 1) first uninstalling all conflicting packages
> 2) overwriting the conflicting files
> In the case (2), I think the uninstaller should remove the overwritten
> files from the affected packages, so the user could install "CoolApp
> 1", then update to "CoolApp 2" by overwriting the files and uninstall
> "CoolApp 1" without breaking "CoolApp 2". But when uninstalling
> "CoolApp 2" "CoolApp 1" should be deleted, too, since it won't work,
> anymore.

Thanks for the ideas!
I think the first option could be added for sure. It's a good solution
mostly, e.g. when installing a newer version of some application.
As for the second one - it's similar to the one I mentioned above. Hard
to say if any of them (this or mine) would be appropriate for the
installer. Such 'meddling' could be more confusing to the user than
leaving it as it was (and not dealing with it).

This surely needs some more thought though...

--
Best regards,
Łukasz 'Sil2100' Zemczak