[openbeos-cdt] Re: installer: .pkg dependencies

  • From: "DarkWyrm" <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:12:31 -0400 EDT

> Hi,
> do you have any ideas for handling the case when a package conflicts
> with some other package (i.e.: wants to overwrite files of some other
> package)?
>
> I thought about warning the user in that case and allow for
> 1) first uninstalling all conflicting packages
> 2) overwriting the conflicting files
> In the case (2), I think the uninstaller should remove the
> overwritten
> files from the affected packages, so the user could install "CoolApp
> 1", then update to "CoolApp 2" by overwriting the files and uninstall
> "CoolApp 1" without breaking "CoolApp 2". But when uninstalling
> "CoolApp 2" "CoolApp 1" should be deleted, too, since it won't work,
> anymore.
>
> I'm not sure if that will work well, so please add your thoughts.
I, too, don't think that will work very well, but I don't have any
suggestions on how to handle it in a reasonable manner only because
they would probably be way more work than what would be worth it if you
consider that we will be designing a new package system for R2. The
only other one I would have is to just do the R2 one. :D

--DW