[openbeos-cdt] Re: What's going on here?

  • From: Nathan Callender <nathan_callender@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 06:09:25 -0700 (PDT)

Why didn't you bring this up over IRC *before* Stuart was going to submit
names?  There were three sessions, and lots of time to post on the mailing
list.
  Kristof Polleunis aka BeAdingo <kristof_polleunis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Boris, that .com suggestion was my idea ;-)

I agree with Boris we are obviously not marketeers and
that's why we forget to consider things, sometimes
important stuff when choosing a name. I believe we
should get in touch with the people who want to
distribute the OS, like BeUnited (isn't Helmar a
marketeer) to discuss these things.

I believe there are many criteria to consider before
even submitting a name to Michael. These are just a
few I can come up with and I'm not an expert in this
field.

- it has to be a non-existing OS-name.

- it should more or less represent the OS or the
community, it's a plus to the name this way.

- it should not be an existing trademarked name (also
applies to logo).

- it should be trademark-able(also applies to logo).

- it should be possible to obtain a toplevel
domainname like *.org,*.com,*.net

- it should not have an insulting meaning in other
cultures.

- it should not be too long, too complicated or
consist of multiple words.

- not too geeky either (my personal view ;-).

The name has to pass criteria tests like these.
What's the point in having a flashy name if we can't
have the domainname or the trademark or if it's a
infringment on a trademark. It's not just a matter of
picking names at random.

Everyone who suggests a name should first check if the
names passes these criteria before even mentioning it.
See what happend with BlueOS they had to change their
name because BlueOS already existed. I think we
better avoid things like this.

Kristof Polleunis

aka

BeAdingo