[openbeos-cdt] We're almost there

  • From: "Stuart McCoy" <stubear@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 12:04:31 -0400

I posted this on the forum but received only two replies.  Therefore I'm
hoping this mailing list will catch a few more people still interested on
working in this group.  The only difference between the forum post and this
one is the date I want replies by.

Stuart McCoy
mailto:stubear@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.meltingcrayons.com/stubear

---------------------------

Before I get to the announcement I want to establish a few things before
this group moves forward. I realize that there a lot of people who want to
help work on this project. I also realize that many of you have little or no
experience on design projects. As much as I'd like to let everyone get
involved, I need to ensure the integrity of this project remains intact by
setting some guidelines and expectations.

For icons, logos and sound teams I want to ensure that the people working in
these teams know what they are doing. Icon design is a very precise art and
to maintain a consistent look and feel with applications, the GUI and each
other require a fair amount of skill. I plan to invite some icon creators to
submit some work for consideration once we have a name. Guidelines will be
set per project (i.e. icons will be 16x16, 32x32 and have 256 color and
32-bit color versions of each size.) Once you find out what group you will
be working in you will get a list of guidelines and more specific
expectations for the final pieces.

I'm fairly critical of sound design because of my background in audio
engineering (I have a BS in Recording Industry Management: Production and
Technology). I think Claudius has made some headway in this area but I'd
like to see this kicked up a few notches. The space sounds were a start in
the right direction.

Logos are my passion. As a graphic designer (MFA in Graphic Design) I tend
to enjoy working on these projects the most because I like the challenge of
creating visual puns. This is one of the most important design elements this
group will create because it will establish the OS brand with the community
and eventually, hopefully, a larger audience outside the immediate BeOS user
community. I'm sure web sites like OS News and Slashdot will be overly
critical of whatever we do so the less of a reason to be this way, the
better.

That being said, I want to make sure that everyone is working on projects
they are capable of working on. The programming teams don't want
inexperienced hackers working on the Kernel. I don't want inexperienced
people designing icons and logos. You are more than welcome to comment and I
find some comments from non-designers to be quite helpful. They often see
things in a completely different way.

I can't promise anything but I know there is a discussion about how much
user customization will be allowed and to what extent this will affect the
UI. I'm personally hoping for something akin to the MacOS 9 Appearance
engine and icon customization. What this means is you will have more than
enough of an opportunity to show your work off to the community through
sites like DeviantArt or those of your own making. Keep in mind that this
will be the default appearance that we are designing. What the user sees
when they boot up the OS should be as professional looking as possible. I
don't think we need to go down the path of KDE and Gnome.

I would like everyone still interested in working on this project to send me
an e-mail, mailto:stubear@xxxxxxxxx, with a website showing off your work
and a list of groups you would prefer to work in. Please do this by the
middle of this coming week, Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. After that
consideration for this particular project will only depend on the replies
and how much I think I can complete myself.  If you don't have a website
with work to show it will be difficult for me to determine what your
abilities are and how to best put your efforts to good use. I'm not going to
promise anything concerning group assignments but I will try to accommodate
everyone based on your abilities and what's needed. If you are interested in
working on the project identity system then I will let you know if you are a
part of the group and you will be given a project to work on immediately,
the details of which I'll send along with the e-mail. For the rest, it's
concerning the new OS name but that's all I'm going to say for now.