[openbeos-cdt] Organization

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:35:10 +0100

-- Eddy Groen, on Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:31:05 +0100:
> Which brings me to my main problem right now: the CDT list has come
> to life
> again, but nothing has changed compared to 2.5 years ago. No
> structural
> organization or defined boundaries; just discussions running wild and
> unavoidable causing clashes.

How could this miraculously change on its own? It's still the same
mailing list technology...

If there can come anything from this effort, besides frustration due to
ignored arguments, there has to be some RFC like process like beunited.
org tried to establish many years ago. Only it doesn't have to be that
rigid IMO...

It could start by starting a new thread with a *very short"
presentation of the issue: "What seems to be the problem?". It may very
well be, that the problem isn't as grave as perceived by a person.
Before going into solving-mode, let's discuss, if there really is an
issue in the first place.

It may turn out as with our close-x-button: From "Newbies don't grok
how to close a window without 'X'" it went to "Without 'X' it's
mistakable with a checkbox" to "'X' is not essential in the tab, but
maybe desirable for consistency sake in the whole GUI.".

When the problem is well established, and worth intervention, we should
try to come up with potential solutions and together work unbiased on
pro/con-lists for each.

Maybe one or two solutions will congeal in that process.

From time to time, a summary of the arguments should be posted. I guess
that's the responsibility with the thread starter, but others can help
out of course.

When we're all done, we put it in a RFC wiki, refine it, present it on
the general Haiku mailing list, where it is ripped to threads while we
sit back in our corner and cry... :)
Or it becomes a Trac enhancement ticket and hopefully someone will pick
it.

Last but not least: While it's nice to have this list resurrected,
shouldn't we seize the opportunity to start anew with, e.g "haiku-
form&function"? In 5 years "openbeos" will be even more obscure and
"cdt" doesn't really capture everything we do here, right? We can still
link to the 2.5 year gapped old cdt-archive...

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de