[openbeos-cdt] Re: OK Boss, you got my attention...

  • From: "Jace" <jace@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 01:49:29 -0500

>If there is anything you or anyone else would want specifically, you have but
>to ask for it and I'll see what I can do.  It occurs to me that some icons
>could be represented by photographs.  An example I used previously was an
>antique radio for a sound application icon.  I do not know how to make icons
>in the required format, but I can produce images that could be used as icons
>in and of themselves or as part of a composite image.  Iconography is not my
>specialty.

Dale,

I'm sure your photographic talents will be indispensible to us.  Thanks for
offering.  For icons, right now, we cannot use photographic materials as icons.
 The limitations on BeOS's icon format and handling make it impossible.  BeOS
icons are limited to 16x16, or 32x32, dimensions (pixels) and limited to 256
colors.  Photography does not scale to this limitation very well.  Some do, but
they have to be VERY carefully chosen (single objects with easy to cut out
backgrounds, limited color, etc).  The best approach for icons at THIS time in
OBOS is to stick with iconography and illustration styles that have been in use
over the last few years.  Go check out this site: http://www.iconfactory.com
and look at the icons that are NOT for MacOSX and NOT for WinXP.  The designs
there are very cool and many are quite appropriate.  This is just if you're
curious.  The icon team should take a visit there, too, for some inspiration.
Fun site :)

Cheers,

-Jace

This message was sent with the demo version of Postmaster, a BeOS mail client.
For more information, please visit http://kennyc.com/postmaster