[openbeos-cdt] OK Boss, you got my attention...

  • From: SSG Dale Raby <daleraby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 15:04:24 -0600

Mr. McCoy:

You have done a fine job defining the issues and goals in general.  I will
begin digging through my portfolio and put together a group of photographs to
submit for wallpaper.

If there is anything you or anyone else would want specifically, you have but
to ask for it and I'll see what I can do.  It occurs to me that some icons
could be represented by photographs.  An example I used previously was an
antique radio for a sound application icon.  I do not know how to make icons
in the required format, but I can produce images that could be used as icons
in and of themselves or as part of a composite image.  Iconography is not my
specialty.

The issues of the forum are being addressed, I gather, but until it is
drastically improved, it will probably not be used all that much... at least
not by me.  I can't afford to wait five to ten minutes while a page loads...
assuming I can get it to load at all.

Is there a url somewhere that we can use to upload imagery?  If there isn't,
I can create one on my domain and post images for review as they are emailed
to me.  I run Linux and BeOS mostly, so am unconcerned about viruses and such
in attached files.

You devoted much of your message to naming this thing we are all working on,
and justifiably so.  A name defines something more profoundly than anything
else about it.  Linux is a lousey name... no offense to Mr. Torvalds, as it
is not descriptive.  Windows 9x, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000.... (is
there a pattern here?) these are all much more descriptive of the OS they
refer to... though they left out the maddening instability and security holes
when they made the names.  Should have called them Broken Windows 9x, etc.
In any case, as much as we all must dislike Microsoft, they are successful,
and they got that way using unreliable products.  They must be doing
something right.... and my guess is that they market their product well.  We
would do well to emulate them in this... and if we can make a better product,
we could well supplant them as the OS of choice on the desktop.

Stuart, you have already demonstrated an ability to learn and to take heed to
the words of others.  This will serve you and the rest of us well.

So... Sergeant Raby reports, Sir!

Dale A. Raby