[openbeos-cdt] Re: Names

  • From: Rob Jones <senojbor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 15:30:04 +0100 (BST)

Why not call it "The WIMP" - the original acronym for
the GUI we all now use when it was first developed by
Xerox at PARC in the 1970s? The letters stand for
Window, Icon, Menu, Pointer - the basic elements of
the "desktop" on most modern systems. It is a
memorable and familiar term to English speakers and
could be considdered "ironic" when applied to a
powerful and capable operating system. I do not think
Xerox trademarked it as they never made it public, I
have not done any thorough searching but Google showed
very little other than references to the acronym.

=====
regards
Rob

http://uk.my.yahoo.com