[openbeos-cdt] Re: Mouseclick options

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:10:08 +0200

hmm, I really wanted to learn for my exams, but you're discussing my
pet peeve and I just have to add my salt... :)
I know a few people who have absolutely no problem when surfing the
web, but when I explain to them over the phone how to solve a Windows
problem and when I say "now, click on ..." they *always* ask "one or
two clicks?". It's just not intuitive.

I think a possible solution to the problem is to slightly change our
mouse actions. Instead of overlapping selection and invocation we
should make a clear distinction:
* selection: left-click
* dragging a selection: left-click-drag
* invocation: right-click
And now comes the trick: the context menu still appears when
right-clicking, but it's slightly off-placed, so you don't
accidentally click on it when invoking.

We could make invocation more obvious by placing an additional mini
context menu with only the invocation action directly under the mouse
cursor, so you can easily see that releasing the mouse will result in
an invocation.

This could even be combined with pie-menus to get mouse gestures.

Waldemar Kornewald