[openbeos-cdt] Re: Mouseclick options

  • From: "Meanwhile -" <meanwhile@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 02:38:02 +0800

Hi Jon,

Looking at it on a userlevel, user 1 can forget about the option I'm suggesting
and even forget it exists, while user 2 can use it and forget his days of
If you worry about the OS being non-standard, I think that's a bit theoretical
as the option would only hurt the OS's 'standardness' by it being the default
setting, which I wouldn't want.
What would also hurt is when it would be implemented in such a way that it
doesn't work allround...which, to be honest, is the case right now with FireFox
and Seamonkey being exceptions (see my other replies to reactions on this
topic) during the use of universalScroller.
Here's then another thing that pleads for the use of an adatation of Tracker.
(Hope you'll agree).

> What you are proposing is
> similar to the Dvorak vs Qwerty differences. Also, what if somehow it
> was found that there was a huge advantage to reversing the numbers on
> an analog clock (12 at the bottom, 3 on the left, 6 at the top...) --
> would you be willing to switch? I'm not, and I know a great many other
> people out there aren't, either.

That's a bit of an unworkable comparison.
Haiku shouldn't become a Christmas tree and should be kept simple and lean.
That might be a/your basis to plead for standardisation, but what about the
usability aspect weighing in?

> Habit and standardization are a _huge_ things to consider. Single
> clicks abound in Windows, Mac, Linux, Syllable, SkyOS, TriangleOS, and
> on and on. As an RSI sufferer and proponent of things which aid in RSI
> prevention, I'm all for looking for ways to make things better in this
> way, but this isn't one of them for across-the-board helps or even an
> option in the Mouse preferences.

Too bad you think about it like that. I'm a RSI sufferer too and to me it's
almost essential.

However, I'm also of the opinion that