[openbeos-cdt] Re: Making Haiku's UI more customizable

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 08:30:56 +0100

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 01:42:43 -0500, Ryan wrote:

> I think one thing that could be improved right now in Haiku's UI is
> make it a bit easier to customize. A first step is to actually make
> it
> so all the color choices shown in the Appearance preflet actually
> work. For example as far as I can tell changing the menu selection
> color has no affect at the moment. I think there are a few others.
>
> Also it has been mentioned before of having a little "preview" of the
> color changes in a small pane that shows all the customizable UI
> elements, like in Windows. I think this is a decent idea and a good
> first step. Though my instincts not to blindly copy something are
> making me wonder if it can be done better.

I remember that. :)
See http://www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Menu-font-and-Appearance-panel,
2

In general, however, I think working on good defaults and how general
UI elements look and feel is more important. E.g. how do drop-down
menus work? Are they consistent throughout the system? Do we need dial
controls? slider controls? Do they all work with the keyboard? Do they
snap to certain values? Which values? Is the automatic layout of labels
etc. nice and consistent? Is the active element easily spotted without
screaming for attention?

It's tedious work to gather all this, and present it nice and
concise(!) and thoroughly evidenced so its convincing for a developer
to pick it up. As has been stated before, CDT ideas aren't ignored by
developers and long time users, they are rejected because they were
unconvincingly presented. Evidence and logic rules, taste and opinion
fools.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de