[openbeos-cdt] Making Haiku's UI more customizable

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 01:42:43 -0500

On the topic of more specific (and shorter) emails that I mentioned in
my last email (if you managed to make it to the end):

I think one thing that could be improved right now in Haiku's UI is to
make it a bit easier to customize. A first step is to actually make it
so all the color choices shown in the Appearance preflet actually
work. For example as far as I can tell changing the menu selection
color has no affect at the moment. I think there are a few others.

Also it has been mentioned before of having a little "preview" of the
color changes in a small pane that shows all the customizable UI
elements, like in Windows. I think this is a decent idea and a good
first step. Though my instincts not to blindly copy something are
making me wonder if it can be done better. I had thoughts of adding
all the needed code to make changes "live", like when the font
rendering method is changed. But then I realized that all the elements
that can be customized may not always be on the screen. Tooltips are
one major example, and from experience let me tell you it is a real
pain testing changes to tooltip colors without a preview pane. Does
anyone else have any ideas for this?

Let's just focus on getting this stuff fixed before we get too deep
into theming and all that.

--
Regards,
Ryan