[haiku-cdt] Re: Mail: GUI and Queries

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 13:52:02 +0100

-- Axel Dörfler, on Fri, 04 Dec 2009 13:22:46 +0100:
> Maybe it's a good idea to have a prototype to play with before making
> any conclusions, though.

I consider looking into programming a bit more seriously, but doubt I'd
be for much use for quite a while.

> FWIW I liked the previous version better, but
> that could be just me, and I haven't actually used either solution.

I'll keep the old query-panel mockups for later, (still available at
http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddx3qxp9_13ftxvhjgj), but went to work on
some more GUI layout assuming the simplified query-by-menu solution
finds support. Otherwise, imagine an additional expander at the bottom
for the query-panel.

I removed the controversal icon for now, as the status is now more
obviously set. I still like the idea of avatars and I think the needed
space for it would be expendable. Maybe it could be an optional

Having attachments in a familiar file list to the side instead of a
grey bar (see above google-doc) below the header info, is the more
traditional approach. It does however require a new GUI layout to make
room for it. While the reading-mails layout out can cope with that
nicely, writing-mails is more challenging, because of all the input
text boxes.

See these mockups (1-3) for reading mail at:

It still works pretty much like described in the google-doc, only the
status is now more obviously set with a pop-up menu. The "CC" pop-up is
only visible if filled, the "To" only if it differs from your account
(-> mailing lists).

The write-a-new-mail window is a bit more complicated.

Layout 1 (4) is the same tidy layout from the google-doc:

Unfortunately, you can't make room for the attachment list to the side
of the header info.
Layout 1 (5) puts the attachment list below the header info:

Layout 2 (6-7) shows another header info layout, that's not as nice as
Layout 1 IMO and also requires an additional row, but leaves room for
an attachment list to the right of it:

Do you see a problem of attachments being to the right when reading
mails, but below the header info when sending attachments yourself?
IMO the gain from using Layout 1 outweighs the small inconsistency.
After all, the attachment lists pop up automatically when adding a file
or a received mail has attachments. So it's not like you have to look
for some widget to show the list.

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de