[openbeos-cdt] Re: IRC chat session

  • From: Andrew Gildehaus <agildehaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:21:35 +0000

see attatched

Andrew

On 2002-04-17 at 02:15:56 [+0000], you wrote:

> Crud.  It was never.  Can you post the transcript to the mailing list?
> Sorry I didn't make it!
> -Jace
>
> On 2002-04-16 at 18:32:33 [-0400], openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Well... better late than never...
> > http://openbeos.laevolucion.com/chat/index.htm
> > You can join the irc.openprojects.net channel through that url. I
> > hope it works for you!
> > debro

-- File: #obos-cdt Clipping

*** Now talking in #obos-cdt
*** Topic: OpenBeOS Creative Team
*** Topic set by ChanServ @ Tuesday Apr 09 2002 05:54 AM GMT
-ChanServ- [#obos-cdt] welcome to the openbeos creative team irc channel
*** Channel mode for #obos-cdt: +n
-ChanServ- Password identification is required for [IDENTIFY]
-ChanServ- Type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY <password> and retry
<debro> hi!
-NickServ- Password accepted - you are now recognized
*** User mode changed: +e
-MemoServ- You have no new memos
-ChanServ- The channel [5ubejadi] is not registered
-ChanServ- An access level of [35] is required for [OP] on #obos-cdt
<Androo> hiya debro
-ChanServ- Password accepted - you are now recognized as a founder for
[#obos-cdt]
*** ChanServ set mode +o Androo
<debro> we are a little bit early :P
*** Androo set mode +o debro
<debro> thnx
<Androo> yeah :)
-ChanServ- Unknown command [kick]
-ChanServ- ChanServ allows you to register and control various
-ChanServ- aspects of channels.  ChanServ can often prevent
-ChanServ- malicious users from "taking over" channels by limiting
-ChanServ- who is allowed channel operator priviliges.  Any channel
-ChanServ- which is not used for two weeks, will automatically be
-ChanServ- cancelled.  ChanServ's commands are listed below.
-ChanServ- For more information on a specific command, type
-ChanServ- /msg ChanServ help <command>.
-ChanServ-
-ChanServ-     REGISTER   Register a channel
-ChanServ-     DROP       Cancel the registration of a channel
-ChanServ-     IDENTIFY   Identify yourself with your password
-ChanServ-     SET        Set various channel options
-ChanServ-     ACCESS     Modify the list of privileged users
-ChanServ-     AKICK      Maintain the AutoKick list
-ChanServ-     LEVEL      Change the level required for functions
-ChanServ-     LIST       Display list of channels matching a pattern
-ChanServ-     INFO       Display information for a channel
-ChanServ-     INVITE     Invite yourself to a channel
-ChanServ-     OP         Op yourself on a channel
-ChanServ-     VOICE      Voice yourself on a channel
-ChanServ-     UNBAN      Unban yourself on a channel
-ChanServ-     CLEAR      Clear various channel modes
-ChanServ- Unknown command [ban]
-ChanServ- Syntax: SET <channel> <option> [parameters]
-ChanServ-
-ChanServ- Allows the channel founder or level 25 to set various
-ChanServ- channel options and other information. All options may
-ChanServ- be abbreviated, such as:
-ChanServ- /msg ChanServ set #channel FOUND newfounder
-ChanServ- to set the FOUNDER nickname to "newfounder".  For more
-ChanServ- specific information on each option, type:
-ChanServ- /msg ChanServ HELP SET <option>
-ChanServ-
-ChanServ- Available options:
-ChanServ-
-ChanServ-     FOUNDER     Set the founder of a channel (founder)
-ChanServ-     SUCCESSOR   Set the successor for the channel
-ChanServ-     PASSWORD    Set the founder password (founder)
-ChanServ-     MLOCK       Lock channel modes on or off
-ChanServ-     TOPIC       Change the topic on a channel
-ChanServ-     TOPICLOCK   Topic can only be changed with SET TOPIC
-ChanServ-     PRIVATE     Hide channel from ChanServ lists
-ChanServ-     SECUREOPS   Stricter control of chanop status
-ChanServ-     SECURE      Activate ChanServ security features
-ChanServ-     ENTRYMSG    Send a message to users upon entry
-ChanServ-     EMAIL       Set the channel email address
-ChanServ-     URL         Set the channel url
-ChanServ-     FORGET      Make ChanServ forget your channel FOREVER
-ChanServ-     GUARD       Have ChanServ join your channel
-ChanServ-     SPLITOPS    Let anyone keep ops from a netsplit
-ChanServ-     VERBOSE     Notify chanops on access changes
<debro> so, what's up?
-ChanServ- The channel [guard] is not registered
-ChanServ- Toggled ChanGuard for channel #obos-cdt [OFF]
*** ChanServ has left the channel.
<Androo> been busy with my new responsibilities in the QA/Testing team
<debro> ugh... i'm not aware of anything sorry...
<debro> :P
<debro> what's your job there?
<Androo> lead
<debro> coo
<debro> cool
<debro> ohh! we went golden!
<debro> :P
<Androo> also been trying to get the CDT forums on a different server
<Androo> golden?
<debro> i was away for a couple of days... and haven't been around here for a
while
<debro> i mean on the openbeos.org site
<debro> the "title" is golden now
<Androo> ah, right
<debro> so... we are 1:10 hrs away? :P
<Androo> yep
<debro> i'm wasting my really expensive dial up connection time... :P
<debro> and i'm not kidding
<debro> it's 80 cents/hour, before 10pm
<Androo> :(
<debro> it sucks to be me
<debro> lol
<Androo> I know plenty of people with metered service.
<debro> and it's 56k... wich sucks badly
<debro> why did they asked for buttons if they were gonna make their own?
<Androo> The author of BePDF asked for buttons, nobody else
<debro> ohh
<debro> then i misunderstood
<debro> do you i should offer myself to help with the official website?
<debro> *think
<Androo> I don't think it could hurt.  Daniel may want some help.
<debro> yup
<debro> what do you think about the restiling of the cdt website?
<debro> androo, you wont escape
<debro> :P
<Androo> I haven't seen it, actually.  URL?
<debro> http://openbeos.laevolucion.com
<Androo> first off, none of the graphics show in Net+
<debro> yeah i know
<debro> :P
<debro> it doesn't support table bg
<debro> color
<debro> i mean... not color, img
<debro> i have to work that out
<debro> does it looks good on beZilla?
<debro> it's pretty hard to work without table bg images... i would have to
make separate buttons... wich will get the page heavier...
<Androo> looks fine, but I haven't seen it through IE
<debro> now i've made a stretching version... wich auto adjusts to the size of
the window... but it can't be done without table bg images...
<Androo> hmm ... would have expected a few people by now
<debro> yeah me too
<Androo> going to bring back ChanServ
-ChanServ- Toggled ChanGuard for channel #obos-cdt [ON]
*** ChanServ (ChanServ@services.) has joined the channel.
*** carter.openprojects.net set mode +o ChanServ
*** ChanServ set mode -o debro
*** Androo set mode +o debro
<debro> lol
<Androo> ChanServ is in guard mode, it'll deop anyone who isn't on the op list.
 I'll have to add you.
[...]
-ChanServ- Syntax: ACCESS <channel> {ADD|DEL|LIST} [mask [level]]
-ChanServ- Type: /msg ChanServ HELP ACCESS for more information
-ChanServ-         ACCESS <channel> DEL <mask | index>
-ChanServ-         ACCESS <channel> LIST [mask]
-ChanServ-
-ChanServ- Maintains the channel access list for <channel>.
-ChanServ- Users matching a hostmask on the access list will
-ChanServ- have access to various ChanServ commands depending on
-ChanServ- what level they have (/msg ChanServ HELP LEVEL for
-ChanServ- a list of default user levels).  Anyone not on
-ChanServ- the channel's access list, has a default access
-ChanServ- level of 0.  You may type:
-ChanServ- /msg ChanServ HELP ACCESS {ADD|DEL|LIST} for more
-ChanServ- specific information on each command.
-ChanServ- Type: /msg ChanServ HELP ACCESS ADD for more information
-ChanServ- [debro] has been added to the access list for #obos-cdt with level
[20]
-ChanServ- Syntax: LIST <pattern>
-ChanServ- Type: /msg ChanServ HELP LIST for more information
[...]
-ChanServ- -- Access Levels for [#obos-cdt] --
-ChanServ- Index Level Type      Description
-ChanServ- ----- ----- ----      -----------
-ChanServ- 1     0     AUTODEOP  Automatic deop/devoice
-ChanServ- 2     20    AUTOVOICE Automatic voice
-ChanServ- 3     20    CMDVOICE  Use of command VOICE
-ChanServ- 4     35    ACCESS    Allow ACCESS modification
-ChanServ- 5     20    CMDINVITE Use of command INVITE
-ChanServ- 6     30    AUTOOP    Automatic op
-ChanServ- 7     35    CMDOP     Use of command OP
-ChanServ- 8     35    CMDUNBAN  Use of command UNBAN
-ChanServ- 9     35    AUTOKICK  Allow AKICK modification
-ChanServ- 10    35    CMDCLEAR  Use of command CLEAR
-ChanServ- 11    35    SET       Modify channel SETs
-ChanServ- 12    40    SUPEROP   All of the above
-ChanServ- -- End of list --
-ChanServ- Syntax: ACCESS <channel> {ADD|DEL|LIST} [mask [level]]
-ChanServ- Type: /msg ChanServ HELP ACCESS for more information
-ChanServ- Unknown switch [rem]
-ChanServ- Type: /msg ChanServ HELP ACCESS for more information
-ChanServ- [debro] has been removed from the access list for #obos-cdt
-ChanServ- [debro] has been added to the access list for #obos-cdt with level
[30]
[x] debro (lotr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
[x] Legolas from the distant Mirkwood
[x] Channels: #openbeos @#obos-cdt
[x] Server: irc.openprojects.net (http://www.openprojects.net/)
[x] Idle: 45secs
[x] Signon: Tuesday Apr 16 2002 10:16 PM GMT
<Androo> debro, have you registered your nick with NickServ?
<debro> yep
<Androo> ok, try leaving the room and entering again ... ChanServ should op you
automatically
*** debro has left the channel.
*** debro (lotr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has joined the channel.
*** ChanServ set mode +o debro
*** debro set mode +nt
<Androo> :)
<debro> where is everyone?
<Androo> dunno
<Androo> this is the problem with this group, no participation
<Androo> not sure why stuart isn't here
<debro> yeah
<debro> maybe connection problems again
*** stubear (~stubear@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has joined the
channel.
-ChanServ- [stubear!*@*] has been added to the access list for #obos-cdt with
level [30]
*** GuyHaviv_ (obos_@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has joined the channel.
<GuyHaviv_> howdy.
<stubear> sorry...I just got back froma walk and got hooked on the game when I
got back  :)
<debro> hello
-ChanServ- [stubear] was not found on the access list for #obos-cdt
*** debro set mode +oo GuyHaviv_ stubear
*** ChanServ set mode -o GuyHaviv_
*** ChanServ set mode -o stubear
<debro> ewww
<GuyHaviv_> lol,
<debro> lol
-ChanServ- [stubear!*@*] has been removed from the access list for #obos-cdt
<GuyHaviv_> evil chanserv.
<debro> yeah
<debro> mean
<Androo> register for your nicks and I'll add you to the op list
[x] GuyHaviv_ (obos_@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
[x] iiiii
[x] Channels: #obos-cdt #openbeos
[x] Server: irc.openprojects.net (http://www.openprojects.net/)
[x] Idle: 32secs
[x] Signon: Wednesday Apr 17 2002 12:07 AM GMT
<stubear> how do you do that?
<Androo> do a /msg nickserv register password
<stubear> ok, done
<debro> ohh i love to see the 40+ of us here :D
<debro> ...
<debro> ...
-ChanServ- Type: /msg ChanServ HELP ACCESS ADD for more information
-ChanServ- [stubear] has been added to the access list for #obos-cdt with level
[30]
*** Androo set mode +o stubear
-ChanServ- [GuyHaviv_] has been added to the access list for #obos-cdt with
level [30]
<GuyHaviv_> also done.
*** Androo set mode +o GuyHaviv_
<stubear> I guess this is it for tonight...five people
<debro> 4 actually :P
<Androo> seems like it .. how was the turnout last time?
<GuyHaviv_> chanserv is op? im too used to dalnet.
<stubear> oops, you're right
<debro> bah... chanserv is more active than a lot of the members...
-ChanServ- Toggled ChanGuard for channel #obos-cdt [OFF]
*** ChanServ has left the channel.
<Androo> there, happy? :)
<GuyHaviv_> lol
<stubear> Androo, the turnouts have been rather small.
<GuyHaviv_> does beos work with vmWare?
<debro> we are 40+ and only 10-15 participate
<debro> i should be on class right now
<debro> lol
<Androo> Stuart, I think it's about time to start sending out pings to the
members who aren't participating and removing anyone who doesn't respond.
<stubear> Guy, I don't think so.  I've never been able to get it to run in any
emulation software
<GuyHaviv_> Stuart - didnt you get my /msgs?
<debro> i agree with you androo
<stubear> Androo, the group could use a little trimming
<stubear> Guy, yes
<GuyHaviv_> i also agree, but it has to be done carefully.. the messages should
be polite etc.
<GuyHaviv_> yes you got them or you didnt get them
<Androo> of course
<stubear> yes I got them
<stubear> ok, to the task at hand...
<GuyHaviv_> then why is it difficult to answer
<stubear> the messages on IRC just now or e-mail earlier?
<GuyHaviv_> both
<stubear> I never got any e-mail from you directly, just a couple messages on
IRC just now
<GuyHaviv_> well i sent about 3.
<GuyHaviv_> perhaps to an outdated email box.
<stubear> the last e-mail I got from you was the one I requested from everyone
in the group
<GuyHaviv_> i sent a memberlist with emails, the webspace password on BGA's
server, some other stuff
<stubear> It could be.  My e-mail did change to stubear@xxxxxxxxx a month or so
ago
<GuyHaviv_> ok..
<stubear> I thought I had told everyone
<stubear> sorry
<stubear> ok, NOW to the task at hand
<debro> yeah
<stubear> As everyone knows OBOS needs a name.  This task falls on our group to
compile a list for those higher up to choose from in the best way they deem
fit; flip a coin, play darts with the list, whatever
<debro> hehe
<stubear> Unfortunately, to date people have been just throwing out names
without really considering what OBOS is and the message the group (OBOS) needs
to send to the computer community at large
<stubear> I've been just as guilty, I'm not pointing fingers here
<stubear> so, that being said, I thought IRC would be a good way to spark some
ideas and discussion without the lag of the mailing list and the forum
<debro> i still support the people concept
<debro> but is pretty hard to find out names
<debro> i've worked on some latin and spanish words, wich are pretty cool
<stubear> Debro, true, naming products is not an easy task
* Androo grabs a dictonary
<debro> we spent MONTHS thinking about names to my website
<debro> and finally "La Evolucion" came out
<debro> wich means Evolution
<stubear> Some ideas and concepts to date have been:
<stubear> concepts - starfish or octopus, astronomy sources (galaxies, etc.),
community or people oriented, and mythical
<debro> yep
<debro> do we really want to express what obos is with the name?
<stubear> names - terra or magma (something elemental), jaffa (a nice jab at
Apple, Inc.), and one I thought up the other day based on mythology, Pandora
<debro> that's the way i'm going
<debro> elemental
<debro> but in latin... wich sounds neat
<stubear> elemental - earth, fire, wind, air or combinations thereof
<debro> should i start showing you what i got?
<Androo> I was thinking perhaps we could throw out a few words starting with
"Be" ... there's plenty to chose from.
<debro> uhm...
<stubear> well, I'd like to hear from everyone present what they think BeOS is
and the message they would like to send to the community
<debro> isn't Be registered
<debro> ?
<Androo> debro, yes
<stubear> That's where Jaffa came from, sort of
<debro> that might bring some legal issues
<debro> jaffa is like an orange?
<stubear> yes
<Androo> debro, no ... not if we use a word like "Beatle"
<Androo> just an example, of course
<stubear> Debro, I meant yes, Jaffa is a variety of orange which grows in Guy's
neck of the woods
<debro> uh?
<debro> well we can use "Naranja" :P
<debro> wich means orange in spanish
<debro> hehe
-lilo- [Global Notice] Hi all.  Please congratulate Bdale Garbee, the
newly-elected Debian Project Leader.  OPN extends its best wishes! :)
<Androo> seems a bit long
<debro> yeah, and ugly too :P
<stubear> brb
<debro> are we gonna explain this further or should i start suggesting some
words?
<Androo> shoot, I'm scanning the dictionary at the moment, hoping for a little
inspiration
<GuyHaviv_> jaffa is an israely orange brand...
<Androo> I like "Jaffa", but it doesn't say much about the OS.
<debro> well in spanish it doesn't sound good
<Androo> explain?
<debro> sound like "chafa" wich is a mexican expresion for "bad" "poor"
<GuyHaviv_> well im sorry, but i really sure head to sleep.
<debro> what's the time there?
<GuyHaviv_> 3:39 at night (or should i say morning)
<GuyHaviv_> wow that was a horrible sentence.
<stubear> yeah, go to bed.  Thanks for showing up though.
<debro> nice :D again you are on tomorrow! in the future!
<debro> lol
<GuyHaviv_> well, see you. im just very tired.. im awake for like 22 hours.
<debro> ok
<debro> see ya Guy
*** saffertan (~openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has joined the channel.
<debro> hey nate
<GuyHaviv_> hi nate. bye nate.
<GuyHaviv_>  :)
*** GuyHaviv_ (obos_@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has quit IRC ("Leaving")
<saffertan> hey ya'll
<stubear> hi Nate, bye Guy
<saffertan> I got a few minutes between meetings so I decided to join the
discussion for a while
<debro> hey, am i the youngest on the list?
<saffertan> what's been happening?
<debro> nothing productive yet :P
<debro> list=team ;)
<saffertan> great !
<debro> so.. i'll start to shoot some words, and you judge them
<stubear> everyone was about to tell the group what they think the message the
name should say about OBOS
<debro> uhmm ok, i'll go there first
<stubear> Sionce you were late Natem you can start  ;)
<saffertan> okay ... this is what I think the name should symbolize
<saffertan> stability, speed, power,
<saffertan> but more so ....
<saffertan> modern, unrestricted, maybe even a new life
<saffertan> or a new beginning ... the dawn of a new computer era in which open
source dominates :-)
<stubear> You had me until the OSS reference  :)
<saffertan> sorry .. it was an inside joke ... I'm known as the open source
fanatic around my friends and classmates ...
<stubear> ah
<saffertan> it should also suggest a warm and pleasing (not hostile)
environment for work and/or play
<debro> i'm not an open source fan, actually i almost don't like anything open
source
<debro> but beos didn't felt open source
<debro> and i hope obos doesnt
<stubear> Androo, you want to enlighten us with your thoughts about the message
this project should send to the community?
<saffertan> debro ... open source does not have to feel like what it feels like
today ... but that's another topic we can talk about later...
<debro> yep
<debro> Androo?
<debro> Andrés? :P
<stubear> I think Androo is lost in the dictionary  :)
<debro> yeah
<debro> hehehe
<stubear> well, I like the concept of new and community (warm/pleasing) but I
woule liken this idea more towards the core of everything the community does..
<saffertan> can you explain?
<stubear> OBOS is sort of the heart of the entire system...the mass of stars at
the center of a galaxy...the core of the earth
<debro> magma ? ;)
<stubear> It is what gives the community life to work and play
<saffertan> we could name it BeLife :-)
<saffertan> hehe
<debro> Believe
<debro> should i speak my mind?
<saffertan> how about something along the lines of water ....
<stubear> I was thinking more along the lines of Oxygen
<debro> [Androo] seems to be sleeping over the dic... :P
<saffertan> we all need water to live on and stuff like that ... yeah, speak
you mind
<debro> oxygen, that's nice
<debro> is something you need to live
<debro> nice
<saffertan> yeah ... i like that better
<stubear> Aqua's been done by the way  ;)
<debro> yeah
<saffertan> ....yeah, I know
<debro> here's what i think about obos
<debro> OBOS: stable, fast, powerful, friendly, feels like home, human,
comfortable, open, cute, functional, notwindowsatall, alsonotlinux, notevenmac,
etc.
<saffertan> so how about O2, 03 ... h20
<stubear> wow, the Sox are routing the Blue Jays  :)
<saffertan> so it is like a breath of fresh air ....
<Androo> back, sorry
<saffertan> (I wasn't referring to the Sox)...
<stubear> I know...I got the game on in the background...Nomar came within
inches of hitting a homerun but the score quickly went from 6-1 to 9-1  :)
<debro> baseball? ugh
<saffertan> along with what debro said ... and stuart's oxygen ... what about
<debro> soccer is quite better :D
<stubear> don't get me started Debro *smack*
<saffertan> breathe ... breath ... air ... aire...
<stubear> Anyway, back to the task at hand
<debro> hehehehe
* Androo will join Stuart in the smacking
<debro> i got that on my list
<saffertan> (i'll ahve to go with debro on soccer ... i grew up in Ecuador)
[x] saffertan (~openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
[x] OpenBeOS CDT member
[x] Channels: #obos-cdt
[x] Server: irc.openprojects.net (http://www.openprojects.net/)
[x] Idle: 4secs
[x] Signon: Wednesday Apr 17 2002 12:40 AM GMT
<debro> - aeris: air in latin (ffvii anyone?)
<stubear> foreigners, huh Androo?  Baseball is FAR too sophisticated a sport
for them  ;)
<Androo> I think one thing that made "Be" so wonderful for the name of the OS
was that many developers used it in the name of their apps.
<debro> nah i like baseball, but i think soccer is more exciting
<debro> yeah
-ChanServ- [saffertan!*@*] has been added to the access list for #obos-cdt with
level [30]
-ChanServ- [saffertan!*@*] has been removed from the access list for #obos-cdt
<stubear> You know what?  I never cared for that all that much
<debro> Aeris? don't you like it ? :B
<saffertan> I agree with Androo ... we should pick something short or
abreviatable (is that a word?)
<debro> i think it was a bit confusing, that be* software
<Androo> stubear, I agree that there are too many "BeSomething" apps, but it
works to a degree.
<saffertan> ... it at least spread community ... and that's really important
<debro> can i start showing off my latin words list?
<Androo> sure
<debro> - lumen: means "light" in latin
<debro> - lux: again "Light" in latin (too much like tux?)
<stubear> actually the first thing I thought of was Luxo Jr.  :)
<debro> pfft
<debro> - lucis: yet again light <-- this one is nice
<debro> we can make a girl mascott named lucy! (just kidding)
<saffertan> I like the sound of lucis ...
<Androo> "Masa" in Filipino means "for the masses"
<saffertan> ...but unfortunately, I have another meeting now ...
<debro> Masa in spanish means... uhmmm.... like the bread before cooking, i
don't know the word
<saffertan> ....I've enjoyed and would love to chat again with everyone ...
maybe we can set up another time before stuart turns in the list on the 21st
<debro> we need to...
<stubear> I'll try to set something up fopr Thursday
<debro> friday? not good?
<debro> hehe
<stubear> I think these IRC chats have been helpful...agree/disagree?
<saffertan> ...well, thursday doesn't work so well (same schedule ...)
<debro> agree
<saffertan> .... I think IRC has been really hepful ... we should do a LOT more
 and with more people
<debro> it's almost like a real meeting
<saffertan> Friday afternoon works ... anyway ... give up an e-mail about the
time ... I have to run.
<Androo> I'm not sure when I can meet this week.  The testing team is receiving
a drop of code for a release on Thursday.
<debro> see ya nate
<saffertan> see you ...
<Androo> night nate
<debro> take care
*** saffertan (~openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has quit IRC ("Leaving")
<stubear> bye nate
<debro> should i go on?
<Androo> sure
<debro> - ignis: fire in latin <-- i like this one A LOT
<debro> - fuego: fire in spanish <-- pretty nice too
<debro> - caelum: sky, heaven in latin <-- maybe too hard to pronounce for an
english speaker...
<debro> to anyone actually
<debro> - cielo: sky, heaven in spanish
<debro> stop me if there's any word you like, ok?
<debro> - comis: friendly in latin
<debro> - domus: home in latin
<debro> - miles: warrior in latin (not really comis :P)
<debro> - optimus: one of the best, aristocrat, noble. latin
<debro> - magis: more, to a greater extent, rather, for preference latin
<debro> - hogar: home in spanish
<debro> - mane: morning, early in the morning, early.latin
<debro> - oriens: rising, the rising sun; east; morning latin <- nice
<debro> - nox: night. latin
<debro> - noctis: night. latin
<debro> - cras: (adv.) tomorrow, on the morrow.
<debro> - sum: to be, exist (just like Be, but in latin :P)
<debro> - ser: to be, exist. now in spanish
<debro> - fenestra: window. latin (LOL :D)
<debro> - gens: clan, race, nation, people, tribe. latin
<debro> and that's it
<debro> any nice word?
<Androo> to be honest, none of them jump out at me
<stubear> nothing smacked me across the head either
<debro> yeah, if you read them on an english fashion, maybe they don't sound
that cool
<debro> well... that was an idea, just a shot
<debro> i have plenty of bullets to go on
<debro> :D
<stubear> I'm not sure using latin is such a great idea either.  It seems to
have an air of pretentiosness to it
<Androo> well, I think most latin words sound fantastic ... just none of those
seem to be right for an OS
<debro> yup
<debro> i tried to find words that meant something to the OS
<debro> and some elemental
<debro> and actually aqua and terra are latin words
<debro> aeris, ignis, aqua and terra, the four elements
<stubear> Hey, here's one for you...Betelgeuse  :)
<Androo> heh
<debro> hehe
<Androo> that's slightly copyrighted :P
<stubear> It's the name of a star.  who has the copyright?
<debro> i actually don't know if i pronounce well "BeOS"
<debro> we say like the same that "Bios"
<debro> "Beatlejuice"?
<Androo> Betelgeuse?  I suppose you've never seen a Tim Burton movie.
<stubear> That's Beetlejuice, not Betelgeuse
<Androo> ah
<debro> it sounds the same...
[debro #obos-cdt:PING]
<stubear> Besides, you can't copyright a movie title, youcan only trademark it
<debro> what's the difference?
<stubear> however, betelgeuse.com is already taken by some design development
company
<stubear> oops...design company
<debro> stars... galaxies... the space...
<debro> orion
<debro> io
<debro> europa
<debro> phobos
<debro> PhobOS :P
<Androo> Ion
<debro> UHM!!
<debro> IDEA!
<Androo> yes?
<stubear> I think IDEA was his idea
<debro> what about Phoenix? i know it's used and reused, but it reflects what
we are doing...
<debro> we are coming back from our ashes
<debro> Fenix
<debro> wich is the spanish word for phoenix
<stubear> I don't like the negative connotations that has...I think a new
beginnign is almost better than reminding people that BeOS was once a dead idea
<Androo> I'd like to stay away from the *nix sord
<Androo> sord = word
<debro> uhm good point
<Androo> BeOS is NOT a *nix
<stubear> it's POSIX though, right?
<debro> Fenics? :P
<Androo> It has a POSIX layer, an incomplete one at that
<debro> what about greek alphabet?
<debro> too much like a fraternity, isn't it?
<Androo> definately
<debro> elvish words?
<stubear> well, I think we're beginning to run in circles again...There are
some great ideas in here.  Can someone save the session (Besirc apparently
can't or the feature doesn't work) then e-mail it to me?
<Androo> session saved
<stubear> I'll draw up another list and post it to the mailing list to see what
kind of a response it generates
<debro> this script i'm using logs everything automatically
[x] stubear (~stubear@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
[x] stubear
[x] Channels: @#obos-cdt
[x] Server: irc.openprojects.net (http://www.openprojects.net/)
[x] Idle: 46secs
[x] Signon: Wednesday Apr 17 2002 12:07 AM GMT
<Androo> stubear@xxxxxxxxx?
<stubear> yep
<Androo> done
<debro> you should try this script stuart
<stubear> thanks
<debro> it solves a lot of irc issues
[CTCP->debro] VERSION
-debro- ···· I R c a p ·· v 7.1 ·  http://www.ircap.com
<stubear> send it to me and I'll give it a shot
<debro> what about Pegasus?
<debro> :P
<debro> i'm going random again
<debro> http://www.ircap.com/en/index.html
<Androo> I think out of all the ideas we've come up with, Jaffa is my personal
favorite.
<stubear> Mine too.  It has a nice ring to it, rolls off the tongue rather
nicely, is a nice jab at Apple AND it connects with its roots as an alternative
to MacOS
<debro> well as i said, it has a negative impact when reading it in spanish
<stubear> and that would be?
<debro> it sounds like "chafa"
<stubear> ???
<debro> wich is a mexican expresion for "bad" "poor"
<Androo> Wouldn't "java" sound like "chafa" in Spanish?
<stubear> by the way, who asked me what the problem with the starfsh metaphor
and the japanese was?
<debro> noup
<debro> not me
<Androo> I think we discussed it a while back, Stuart.
<stubear> Apparently japanses children are taught at an early age to think of
starfish much like we think of slugs; slimy and gross
<Androo> ah
<stubear> I'm not convinced that it's such a bad metaphor after hearing that
<stubear> I doubt the japanese would consider OBOS slimy and gross were it
named starfish
<debro> besides the nice sound of the word, what's the point of Jaffa, and it's
connection with an OS?
<stubear> Jaffa is an Orange.  It is similar to Apple and MacOS.  Mcintosh
(macintosh) is a variety of apple
<debro> then we name it GrandSmith! :P
<stubear> BeOS was intended to be the base of what would later become MacOS X
but Steve Jobs killed that prospect when he brought NeXT OS withhim on his
return to the CEO hot seat
<stubear> That would be granny smith
<debro> i'm out of ideas...
<debro> i like Evolved
<debro> Evolved Operating System
<debro> :P
<stubear> Ok, androo, could you save the session after we all sign off then
send it to me?
<Androo> sure
<stubear> I suggest we close this session for tonight.  There really have been
some good ideas here but we need to distance ourselves from them for a while
<stubear> I'll see if I can't setup at least one more IRC session before I pass
a list along to Michael
<stubear> With that I'm going to sign off.
<debro> yeah me too
<debro> hey answer this
<debro> am i the youngest one on the team?
<stubear> I got a new toy today to play with....Photoshop 7  :)
<stubear> I haven't had a chance to tinker with the new features yet
<debro> oh cool
<Androo> stuart, my copy's on its way
<debro> i'm 19... am i or not?
<debro> :P
<Androo> going to save this chat, I think we're through ... night folks
<debro> s