[openbeos-cdt] Re: Design Stuff ... and more

  • From: Dale Raby <daleraby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 16:44:10 -0600

On Sunday 31 March 2002 16:04, you wrote:

OK.  I'll wait... a little impatiently, but I'll wait.

Some commentary, though, on the subject of a logo.

As I understand it, Palm purchased BeOS.  Therefore, they own BeOS, lock,
stock and barrel... this includes the trade name BeOS.  I wonder where we
stand on legal issues?  This is something we ought to settle before someone
designs a logo using the BeOS trade name that we cannot use.

One other item.  This is only my opinion, but I really hate Tux, the penguin
logo for Linux..  I also hate Abby the ant, the logo for Abiword word
processor.  I could go on ad nauseum, but you get the idea.

What is it about stuffed animal type cartoon animal's?  Take a look at
Microsoft's logos... none of them are cute little critters.  Few of the more
successful software packages use anything like that.  They are generally
simple graphic designs

Not to toot my own horn, but take a look at my own efforts on the opening
page of my webzine: http:www.thegreenbayweb.com.  I used the Intel 386
processor and the 387 co-processor in my logo because it was the first true
multi-processor in general circulation... also, incidently, the lowest level
processor that Linux can run on.  Linux was then the only viable alternative
to Windows 95 available... at least as far as I knew.  I chose the color
green, again, as a retro attempt.  Those of you here who are old like me may
rember the old green monitors that things like the Televideo 608 generally
came with.  I used an Old-English type font to emulate the printed newspaper
titles that I hope to replace with my webzine concept.  My hope is to expand,
change the format a bit and put the Green Bay Press Gazette out of
business.... hey, I can dream, can't I?

A logo should say something about the item or company it represents.  If we
use a cute little cartoon bee, what are we saying about Open BeOS?

I guess I am a proponant of more serious-looking logos.  Open BeOS should be
sharp, efficient, and businesslike.  If we are going to challenge Microsoft
as well as LInux and BSD, our OS must be all that and more.  The logo should
reflect that.

Now, if I offended anyone's efforts, please remember that I have yet to see
any of your work due to server problems... but let the flaming begin anyway,
I invited it!

Dale