[openbeos-cdt] Re: Design Stuff ... and more

  • From: Kristof Polleunis <kristof_polleunis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 01:08:26 -0800 (PST)

I posted this message on the forums a few days ago but
for those who didn't see it, it's basically in line
with the previous remarqs about organizing this team.

BTW: It's been a week and still no news about my

I agree with Stubear and Saffertan, we need a plan.
Everyone has had a chance to send in some artwork,
ideas and suggestions and this shows very well the
artistic abilities of the members but as Stubear said
this is not an art-contest.

We need to set up some guidelines. Guidelines for
creating logos, icons, backgrounds, gui ... etc. First
of all there is the message we want to pass to the
future users of OBOS. All the design-work should
reflect this message, there needs to be consistency in
logos, icons, backgrounds, gui, sounds ...etc. In fact
we need some sort of Brand Driver.

What is a Brand Driver?

Definition: A Brand Driver is a unique and compelling
insight capable of driving all manifestations (visual,
verbal, aural and behavioral) of our brand. It is at
the heart of our brand promise, it defines and
enshrines what is special and different about our
brand and provides a common purpose and drives
consistent expression.

The Brand Driver is comprised of:

      - The brand characteristics which will shape its
communication and perception
      - The statement of relevant differentiation
(SoRD), the brand?s promise and substantiation (=
basically what we stand for and where we want to go
and what we want to achieve)
- The evocative expression, the insightful idea that
captures what the brand is about

This then translates into our image drivers and visual
All manifestations of the brand should be checked
against the characteristics of:

- (Here we should put some of the characteristiques
which reflect both what OBOS and the OBOS community
stand for)

Once we have this we can set up guidelines for all the
design work that needs to be done.

Let me illustrate this with some examples.

Mascot and color scheme:

Lets start with the word "Be" (Like "Be" creative or
something). Suppose we go for this message and choose
the "bee" as mascot, which I think is an excellent
metaphor. Bees are highly social animals, work hard
are generally not aggressive unless someone asked for
it icon_wink.gif

Now we need define a color scheme we want to use that
we will use consistently throughout all of the work. A
bee has two main colors black and yellow. These could
be what the blue and red was for BeOS. Some of you
might have noticed the gui work of Stuart McCoy
(Stubear) and actually he's already using these
colors, which inspired me to create a friendly looking
bee and a logo.

A logo should be simple and straightforward. The use
of too many colors should be avoided, because logo's
need to bee printed on a variety of media, going from
computer screens to websites, brochures, newspapers
etc. This means a logo should still look good when
using only 2 colors. Think of good logos you know and
you'll notice they would still be recognizable in
black and white. Another thing they should reflect the
message, in this case the bee. So I made this logo
that is based on a hexagon aka a honeycomb and I used
the two basic colors.

Best would be a logo that fits in a square so it can
easily be turned into an icon or be placed in the

Here we have to keep in mind that currently beos only
supports 256 colors and since obos is going to be an
exact copy of beos it probably will not support more
colors. Also here there should be consistency and a
color scheme set up for the icons of course with more
than 2 colors icon_wink.gif.  Also this part requires
some special talent, it's not enough to create
Illustrator art reduce it in size to get a good icon,
the best icons are handmade with an iconeditor, this
requires some experience in this field.

Here we should think about functionality first not
just looks.  Windows Xp looks better than the standard
95 look but it does not add much extra functionality.
Instead it decreases the speed considerably.  These
are things to keep in mind.

This is the more artistic part of the project and
everyone here should have the freedom to design
backgrounds the way they want, but it might be good to
define some categories, like people, nature,
industrial, sci-fi... etc.

Apart from the intro they should clearly reflect the
action that is taken or the reason why it's used. I
believe it should be simple as well. So no point in
playing a 3 minutes guitar solo if all it should do is
send an alert-sound.

The examples mentioned here are only to illustrate my
view of how we should do things and are by no means
what should be done.

I think we should start define the guidelines, the
Brand Driver, timeframe, the way we communicate with
each other and the community? etc. One this is done we
can present the different guidelines, Brand
Drivers?etc in a survey we present to the whole BeOS
and OBOS community and let them democratically vote
for what they think is the best set of guidelines,
colors schemes, guiconcept?.etc.

--- Nathan Callender <nathan_callender@xxxxxxxxx>
> Hey everyone...
> Okay, ever since I've been here (since Jan) this is
> about the thrid time that the group has called for
> some organization and some planning.  Stuart has
> been posting comments on the forum about this.  I
> have too.  Stuart also suggested how we should do
> this ... he writes:
> <quote>
> Here's how this group of designers should progress.
> We must begin by finding out exactly what the
> concept for BeOS is supposed to be. To do this we
> must ask the developers what they envision BeOS (and
> OBOS) to be. The design team will then discuss it at
> length and condense the concept to its base
> elements. For instance, the bee is a good starting
> point for a logo.
> Once a couple concepts are chosen and ideas are
> discussed, the designers in the logo group will
> begin creating. Once they have a wealth of work
> based on these concepts they will display the work
> to the group. Discussion will ensue based on the
> work presented. Hopefully some of the ideas
> discussed in the first step will either be refined
> or rejected because they just don't work (sometimes
> an idea sounds better until it's implemented).
> After discussing the current cropof logos the
> designers whose work is considered good enough to
> progress will do so. These designers will take their
> work and refine it based on the discussion. If your
> work wasn't chosen, you can always try to improve it
> based on the discussion and present it on the next
> round.
> This process continues until a couple of pieces of
> work per concept are chosen to be presented to the
> client - in this case that's the OBOS developers and
> perhaps the community. I'd argue against asking the
> Be forums what they think of the logos because
> everyone will have an opinion and you can never
> please everyone. It's best to limit the people who
> can make the decisions as much as posible. Most
> designers have either heard or made the comment
> about too many cooks in the kitchen when discussing
> their clients. Designing by committee is never easy
> and always disasterous.
> This is how a team designs. They discuss ideas. This
> teasm has yet to really begin the first step in
> earnest.
> </quote>
> Others have posted stuff too (Nathan Lynn comes to
> mind) a while back, and I even sent a design
> schedule to Guy a while back as well in an earlier
> attempt to get the group organized.  I suggest that
> we stop whatever design work that we're doing and
> start talking about (and working on) how to get this
> project done.  It's going to be a big crappy mess
> when Michael Phillips writes us and needs something
> urgently to promote the OBOS project (for example)
> and we haven't even talked about a design schedule.
> (Wait ... this already did happen :-) the t-shirt
> idea and now the web links).
> If we are serious about this project and about
> [...]

Kristof Polleunis    ==                         ==       .oooO  Oooo.

Do You Yahoo!?