[openbeos-cdt] Re: Comments on Nicholas Blachford's Photoshop work

  • From: Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 09:51:16 +0100

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Having a single-pixel border may work. We don't want a text window bleed
> into a bright background picture. What do you think of this:
> http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/haiku_ui_mockup
> I always liked that (besides the to dark tab). Narrower window borders,
> square window, slightly round tab (though I'd still prefer the left
> side cornered, as mentioned in my other mail).
> I also like the blue selection colour in the menu.
> I also suspect that the warm brownish background picture together with
> the clear gray, blue and yellow makes this mockup so visually pleasing.
> :)

http://i26.tinypic.com/28us1go.png

I like this one, except that I think the tab should seamlessly blend
with the window border. In that mockup it looks like the tab belongs
to something behind the window. I'd also change some minor things like
making the slider and up/down buttons a little more 3d (though nothing
extreme, just so that they pop a little from the background) and the
menu bar slightly less 3d. The slider would also have a few horizontal
markings to indicate that it can be moved up/down.

Nicholas' mockup is pretty good too, but I'm not sure about borderless
windows. Every now and then a window ends up on top of another and I
think they blend too much without borders, even with drop shadows.
Personally I think resize on any border is more useful than move
anywhere so I hope that will at least be an option in Haiku. Moving by
dragging anywhere inside the window would be nice to try what it feels
like, and I don't think people doing it by mistake would be a huge
problem assuming controls are well designed and clearly marked.

//Johan