[openbeos-cdt] Re: Comments on Nicholas Blachford's Photoshop work

  • From: Nicholas Blachford <nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 21:43:35 +0000

Pic 3 is now fixed, not sure what happened there.

What I did to the pics:

1: Nothing, this is the original screen shot.

2: The second image makes the windows cleaner, removing the outer boarder and generally making it cleaner. I'm happy with the outer boardr vanishing because as I mentioned elsewhere I think the window should be moveable by anywhere (except controls), not just drag bars.

I added the corners in photoshop manually, there is no antialiasing so they may look a bit rough, that's why. I don't agree with the idea of having some corners sharp and some curved, OS X does this and I think it looks inconsistent. BTW I heard today when they were aded to Amiga OS they generated so much debate that they eventually added a preference to allow you to select different levels (or no) curves!

3: The third image adds shadows, these are quite big and diffuse, this saves you having to work out where shadows go where there are multiple layers since you can't see them clearly enough to see if they are wrong or not. The shadows are also centred on purpose, they are designed to show a distinction between one window and the next, a shadow going to one corner only would only do this on that corner. e.g. there is a shadow above the deskbar preferences window that distinguishes it from the xData window below, it might be inconsistent and strange if it wasn't present. It might be possible to have bigger shadows on one side though.

4: The texture was added because flat grey windows still look flat, the image doesn't quite show what I wanted but gives the general idea. Adding the texture darkened the image so I've applied to all the windows, in reality it would just be applied to the background of windows. I think the same thing could probably be achieved with gradients, however this might a bit too much OS X.

The look of GUIs are a topic will you never agreement on because a lot of it is personal preference. I think the best thing is to have a preferences that allow you to fiddle with it (preferably behind an "advanced" button to avoid scaring people!), beyond that I think the GUI should be skinnable so you can alter it as you see fit.

Nicholas Blachford
"You'll be a dentist - You have a talent for causing things pain!
Son, be a dentist - People will pay you to be inhumane! "
 - Little Shop of Horrors.